Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C-41 Separate Bleach and Fixer any kit options?

C-41 Separate Bleach and Fixer any kit options?

I'm trying to find less than full case quantities of C-41 Chemistry that doesn't use a blix. I finally figured out that Kodak SM chemistry will work right out of the box. No starters for developer and bleach. If you use a running water wash you can skip the stabilizer. Developer, bleach, fixer and final rinse solutions is all you need for a 8 oz Nikor tank or a CPP3 with 18 sheets of 4x5. I found that a company called Unique photo will sell half cases of developer (seem to remember that works out to 4 3 liter batches) Why doesn't somebody sell 5 L kits of chemistry that can be used in manual processing. I don't like the 3 bath kits, I've used them, they work but I still feel like I'm giving something up.

I've tried the "press kits" Stuff is terrible, the shelf life of the powders are not as good as Tetenal liquid chemistry and looks like mud when mixed. Not for my Portra and Ektar!

I'm probably going to just buy a Tetenal 5 L 3 bath kit. I've had excellent results with their E-6. Tetenal is a great resource. I'm just guessing but all the Kodak Rapid Fix now says made in Germany on it, I figure it's from Tetenal, which is fine by me.

I just can't figure out Kodak Alaris, they are to a significant extent still counting on film and paper to fund the Kodak UK pensions yet you have to bend over backwards to buy their product and they won't even cut and package color paper.

What a revoltin' development this is!

Re: C-41 Separate Bleach and Fixer any kit options?

Dunno whether you spend time over at APUG, but Ron Mowrey ("Photo Engineer" at APUG), who worked on this stuff at Kodak, really really really really really doesn't like blix.

Anyway, availability of color chemicals in small quantities has been confusing for a long time now. There are some threads at APUG where people periodically come to ask about the current situation, and then there's a flurry of comments about what products you need to buy to get a complete set for small-darkroom use and where you can get them now. There may not be any good answers - for example, AFAIK there aren't any kits with separate bleach and fix - but that's where I'd ask to find out the latest.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Blix is for the RA-4 process and not for C-41. Kodak RA-4 and C-41 chemistry is what you want if quality is a concern.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Blix is for the RA-4 process and not for C-41.
    The Tetenal and Arista (Freestyle) C-41 kits both use blixes.

I just may go see my old childhood friend that runs a top notch camera store and buy some of his Kodak RA (Rapid Access ) C-41 chemistry. He's a great guy and runs a great store PhotoPro in Cedar Rapids, IA. He's where I get my RA-4 chemistry from, Fuji RA-4 works fabulous with thank goodness Fuji crystal archive paper. I would really like to try some of Kodak's premium paper. I'm not going to start cutting my own paper until I have to.

I did see the fellow on APUG on the subject of Blix use with film. I think he outta know. Man I miss those old Kodak 5 L E-6 kits and all their sundries!

Thanks for the kind comments, I figured this was the case, Thanks Mike

Did you check out Fuji Hunt chemistry?

Lars

Yeah, fuji hunt, also sold under the Rollei brand. Separate bleach and fix.

I use Kodak LU/LORR with separate bleach and fix. Works great!!

As mentioned, check the sticky thread about this (I think it's on APUG). I like the regular Kodak C-41 (not the LORR/SM/etc.), it's the most economical and least compromised, IMNSHO. Yes, you do need to buy larger quantities (you should see the $150 jug of bleach!) but in general it keeps well, esp. the bleach (which can be nearly infinitely recycled/regenerated). Even given the quantity required for purchase (usually kits to make 5 gals at the smallest), it's still cheaper (and better) than any other commercial option.

Thanks to all for the input. I'm going to get the Kodak chemicals, I just really don't like using labs. Too many chances for something to go wrong and I love working in my Darkroom, very therapeutic.
    You gotta pay to play!
    Mike