Thread: Hi from Salt Lake City!

Hi from Salt Lake City!

Hi everyone.

Newbie/not newbie here.

Im getting back into shooting after an 8 year hiatus. I've got experience shooting on 35MM film, 120 MF cameras, and SOME large format cameras. I'm rusty though. I got used to shooting on digital systems (Primarily Canon 20D, 30D 5d, etc)

That's where you all come in.

I've never really spent much time on large format photography, but I would like to learn.

To this end, I've recently purchased a few medium format cameras so as to re-learn film shooting. (120 Agfa Billy Record)

I've also managed to get my hand on what I initially thought was a 4x5 Busch Pressman, but upon further investigating, it's actually a 2x3.

The nice thing about this camera is that it does have a graflex back, so I can find a 120 roll film holder.

I'm hoping to post some picture of my equipment, but for now, this will have to do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WdgwQipl.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	143240

Re: Hi from Salt Lake City!

Hi Figuarus, congrats on the new camera. It has a Kodak Ektar lens in it, a top of the line in terms of lens ever produced, so, you're almost ready to go.
    LF is one of most demanding type of photo in terms of theory/technical approach. Get a good book to help you in this path, and go practice. LF photo is a project for an entire life, you you really want to go deep, strong and always further.

Cheers,

Renato

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Local thrift store here has 2x3 RH 8 Graflex roll holders would fit right on your unit, wants 35 bucks each. These things aren't hard to find. 2x3 with TMAX 400, YOU'RE ready to go. If you lack a darkroom, build one, people will give away enlargers. In the meantime canon, and others make flatbed scanners you can get for 170 bucks that do a pretty decent job. Processing is half the fun!! You came to the right place these folks have done it all.
    Mike in Iowa City

Thanks everyone. Renato, i know the ektar lenses are good, but ive been hearing some interesting things about the kodak syncro-rapid 800 shutters. Right now the shutter is done, so im in the process of looking for a replacement. Ive robbed the Aga Agnar shutter from my Billy Record. Its definitely not the right setup ...

Hopefully i might get lucky and find a good Rapex shutter for this. Or perhaps there's a better option?

Welcome from a fellow Utahn!