Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobo CPE2 Processor

Lascassas, TN

Jobo CPE2 Processor

Quick question.

Can you process 8X10 C41 or E6 film with a Jobo CPE2 processor?

If so, what tanks would be required?

Thanks.
    ——
    Bill Kumpf

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Re: Jobo CPE2 Processor

The short answer is yes, two at the time. I have to check in the basement for the tank I used.

There's also some reel MOD mentioned in the forum capable of processing 3 sheets at the time but it will need more volumen of chemicals. Not sure if it will stay under the max 600ml required by the CPE2. No experience with this system but I am other members could post some feedback.

Yes: http://www.catlabs.info/product/catl...rocessing-reel
    The CL81 can be used with th CPE2 and with E6 will be well bellow the max load recommndation (which can be exceeded if needed), at 570ml min chemicals required.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Bill,
    I found a couple of tanks ready for 8x10 but it required a modification. It uses a 2563 with 2 ribs removed. The advantage is that I can use less than 300ml of chemicals in one-shot and less stress for the motor.

I would strongly recommend a lift and a good thermometer.
    You can pm me for details if interested.

I have had my CPE2 processor with lift for about 34/35 years, in that time I have processed almost everything it is possible to process. Sometimes the quality has been a bit suspect, but overall, the standard processes, with reels if required, for standard formats with the correct tanks, are marvellous.

If you wish to bend the rules a bit you can do wonders. Developing 8x10” film, either E6, B&W or C41 can have a couple of difficulties, but they are generally minor and can be overcome.

I have used with considerable success the Print drum 2830 for developing 8x10” film of all persuasions. The only issues I have had have been where the little clips that the paper (film in my case) is held in place, leaving very little areas of film on the very edges that didn’t get optimum processing. I’m talking of about 1.5 to 2mm by 20mm strips on the very edge.

The film drum 2551 / 2563 is virtually identical to the 2830 print drum. The difference is that the print drum has little ridges that run up and down the inside vertical length to allow various paper sizes to be placed, generally using little slide on clips to hold the paper into place. The 2551 / 2563 which is a film processing drum, is identical externally to the 2830, but internally it is smooth with no ridges, so any sensitive material placed in these drums requires reels or some kind of holding system.

It is possible to develop one sheet of 8x10” paper in the 1525 drum according to the Jobo literature I have, which incidentally is dated 1982. The 1525 drum is actually the 1520 film drum and the 1530 extension module combined. Paper holders are not necessary. As to how well anything on the back of the film is cleared because it generally would be quite hard up against the drum, I don’t remember. I have developed 8x10” C41 print film this way. But that was literally about 30 + years ago, so I don’t remember any specifics.

My Jobo CPE2 is the first model and is the 2 speed unit. I have been developing film since acquiring it in the first or slower speed, with excellent results. Initially I tried the faster speed, but noticed the motor was straining, well, to my ear it was straining. So I switched everything to the slow speed and have developed many thousands of rolls of 135 film and a few thousand sheets of 4x5 and about 100 8x10 sheets without any issues always using the slow speed for everything.

For best results I would suggest you think about acquiring the CL81 and using the above or like alternative possibilities in the interim. I do not have the CL81 unit, so I really cannot suggest it, but it seems that is the way I will go if I acquire an 8x10 camera, which may not be that far into the future.

I have used 600ml of solution many times in my CPE2 and at least once, I used 950ml when trying out the 1520 + 1530 + 1530 combination to develop 8 x 135 rolls of film. It was too much for the motor and the whole thing seemed to be creaking and groaning. My CPE2 is a very early unit and the original instructions book contained that limit with that tank/module combination. Subsequent instruction booklets had the limit pulled to 1520 + 1530 combination, along with a maximum solution amount of 570ml; I use 600ml.

Mick.

Same experience here. Mick explained it quite well.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Mike,
    I dont get any marks on the 8x10s. My guess is, the marks in yours are related to the low speed and the use of clips. The clips retain chemicals inside, specially at low speed.
    Removing the ridges can also be done to the extensions and use as a tank, as long as you find any piece of cover to be used as a bottom.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

I checked downstairs and the new 2563 tanks, the ones showing the 2509n reels on the label, have the ridges, similar to the 2830.

Here's sample of one extension converted and the results:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447433808649.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	142239

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447433826622.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	142240

Thank you for posting the example. It looks like there is about a 3/4" wide strip of increased density running along both long edges of the film. Is this a feature of the shot, or an artifact of the developing process?

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Whir-Click View Post
    Thank you for posting the example. It looks like there is about a 3/4" wide strip of increased density running along both long edges of the film. Is this a feature of the shot, or an artifact of the developing process?
    It is part the sleeve and part crappy lighting job.