Thread: Experience with 58mm SA XL

Experience with 58mm SA XL

Do I have problem of mechanical vignetting if I mount a standard B+W filter on a 58mm SA XL lens with a 67/77 step up ring ?

Do I need a 77 filter slim version or a bigger filter?

Thank you for your help

I don't know, but the step-up ring puts the filter further away so would have to be bigger to just maintain the same coverage. My guess would be for the 77 slim filter (Hoya's Pro-1 is threaded at the front end).

For what it's worth, I've used a Pro-1 mounted without step-up ring on 38mm SA XL for 4x5. The lens filter thread is 72mm so it's already stepped out. I didn't notice any cut off apart from the very extreme corners (normal), and some darkening away from centre (normal for this lens without centre filter).

I have this lens but I always use a center filter on it for 4X5. The center filter thread is 86 - there might be a reason that its this large - so you might think about larger filters (86 rather than 77).

I am using the 58mm SA XL with either a center filter or a 67 to 82mm step up ring and haven't noticed any vignetting with an single 82mm UV or polarising filter.

I occasionally shoot this lens with the new (slim) line of B+W 67mm filters (whenever you first try a filter on this lens, put a very small piece of lens tissue on top of the front element and watch as you screw on the filter to make sure it doesn't touch the front element). The image circle is slightly reduced here, but it's large enough to fill 4x5 without vignetting. You get some circle reduction with anything you put on this lens, even a center filter. I often shoot with center filter, and then with a 86mm filter on that. It works, but you have a little less movement.