Thread: Availability of Tri-X sheet film

Availability of Tri-X sheet film

Am I the only one left in the world who wants to shoot Tri-X? I don't live in a megalopolis, but it isn't exactly the middle of nowhere (although I will admit that things may be harder to find here in Canada). The problem is that it's get ting almost impossible to buy 4x5 Tri-X at my local camera store. It's a specia l order from Kodak and no one seems to know how long it will take to get it in.

Are other people experiencing problems with Tri-X sheet film availability? Am I going to have to bite the bullet and switch to (gulp) T-Max?

It is listed in Toronto based Vistek's printed catalog. So you can try them. URL: http://www.vistek.net Toll free:1-800-561-1777

Another place to look up is Toronto based EightElm Photo which is heavily into large format gear. URL: http://www.eightelmphoto.com

In any case, B&H in New York should have it.

Bruce - Perhaps you'll feel a little better if I tell you that I went back to Tri-X last year. I have been a working photographer since 1959, and shoot everything from 35mm thru 8x10. I've used T-Max 100 and 400 since Kodak announced them, and never was very happy. Finally, I said to myself, "I'm going to use Tri-X until the Great Yellow Father actually takes it off the market!" I'm MUCH HAPPIER!

I live and go to a college photo program in Seattle. Everybody in my program uses Tri-X for 4x5 and, between us, we go through hundreds of sheets a week. Every real photo store in town has crates of the stuff in stock all the time. So I don't know about the rest of the world, but around here Tri-X lives long and strong.