Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ground Glass/Glass Plate holder conversion?

Ground Glass/Glass Plate holder conversion?

Has anyone created a Ground Glass focusing screen from a glass plate holder?

In concept this would be a repurposed non-museum quality glass plate holder with the septum partially (mostly) cut away and a ground glass inserted to replace the sensitized glass plate.

The idea is to make an effective , useful ground glass that can be used on any 4x5 camera that doesn't have a ground glass. This could bedue to a break in the field or to test/use a swap-meet or estate find.

The unit would be ruged enough, and convenient enough, to use in the field, as the dark slides would protect the glass.

What are the short comings or problems to anticipate or overcome? what are the focal plane registeration issues?

Anybody?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Ground Glass/Glass Plate holder conversion?

It seems like a good idea. I have some cameras that don't have a fixed, spring back for the ground glass. Instead, they have two backs, one is the ground glass back for focusing, the other to hold a plate.

It's far better to make a Ground-glass focus screen holder from an old film pack holder, they are more substantial and it's less work and very easy. I've done it a few times for other people where their camera was missing the focus screen holder.

Ian

...and "old film holders" go for virtually nothing!

The film pack holder idea is a good for the general question in my OP.

However, this project is actually aimed at the TravelWide P&S cameras that are being shipped now. These cameras have a spring back that won't open up enough for a film pack holder or Grafmatic.

So the options being persued here are to daapt a standard film holder, or an old glass plate holder.

Any suggestions or actual experience anyone?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Learn from the wet plate guys,

You will have to make a fitting groundglass.
    Or if you want to take out the whole septum, it will be difficult to secure a groundglass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlb7DRoSSVI

Randy and I discussed this already in another thread. I think the easiest thing is to make a wooden frame the size of a filmholder and insert a groundglass, like I did here: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...oid+conversion

If you don't like that, you can convert a filmholder for wet plate, and simply insert a groundglass instead of a plate. I guess the link above shows that. I think wood is easier, and can give you a ground glass the same size as the film. Converting a plateholder would require exactly the same work and have the same limitations as converting a filmholder.

Some weeks ago, I converted a 4x5" fidelity holder to a GG holder by placing the glass in the correct place.
    This works fine now and it's precise, and of course the holder is compatible to any international back - but it has been an ugly job.
    I'm not sure, if I would give instead a wooden frame a chance for the next time, really..

Ritchie

Tim: What nice work on that frame!

Plaubel: Would you share some pictures and a description of how you did the conversi
    I have a glass plate holder, but it seems to be a force-fit under the TW clips. Someone suggested a Pack Film Holder conversion but that doesn't seem to be workable on the TW either.

A new question: Could a spacer (maybe a 1/4 ") be placed between the TW spring clips and the camera back where the clips mount to the back? This would give enough room to hold a Grafmatic or glass plate holder. Thoughts?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

I have something similar to what you are asking for. Dean Jones who made my Razzle provided a film holder ground glass with my order. I don't really use it so I will have to look for it to make photos.