Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Filmomat" prototype roll/sheet film processor

Re: Home-made automatic color film processing machine - up to 5x7

Looks way more complicated than anything I would want. It's fascinating and a great accomplishment. I think you can buy a used Fuji Frontier machine in working condition for a grand. I used Nikor tanks and water baths for roll film color for years with no problems. But now I've got a couple nice used Jobo units that work great. I will probably be looking to get a CPP3 when I retire full time in a couple of years.
    For years I always thought the Jobo stuff was too expensive, but in a world where film processing is getting hard to find and hard to trust what you find I think these type of units are worth every nickel.
    My hope is that there is still enough critical mass of buyers out there that all the manufacturers don't give up due to lack of interest and a glut of worn out old equipment.
    I hope that if this individual wants to give this a try great, looks like whom ever is great at the machine control side, hand made square plexiglass tanks don't look practical but it's a prototype.
    Reality is hard to face but to tool something like that using injection molding would require an annual volume of 10000 units and would have to sell for 5 grand. Thank goodness that Jobo saved the tooling because believe me, after working in fabrication, injection molding, vacuum thermoforming, etc for the last 20+ years you gotta have volume or you are not going to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Looks way more complicated than anything I would want. It's fascinating and a great accomplishment. I think you can buy a used Fuji Frontier machine in working condition for a grand. I used Nikor tanks and water baths for roll film color for years with no problems. But now I've got a couple nice used Jobo units that work great. I will probably be looking to get a CPP3 when I retire full time in a couple of years.
    For years I always thought the Jobo stuff was too expensive, but in a world where film processing is getting hard to find and hard to trust what you find I think these type of units are worth every nickel.
    My hope is that there is still enough critical mass of buyers out there that all the manufacturers don't give up due to lack of interest and a glut of worn out old equipment.
    I hope that if this individual wants to give this a try great, looks like whom ever is great at the machine control side, hand made square plexiglass tanks don't look practical but it's a prototype.
    Reality is hard to face but to tool something like that using injection molding would require an annual volume of 10000 units and would have to sell for 5 grand. Thank goodness that Jobo saved the tooling because believe me, after working in fabrication, injection molding, vacuum thermoforming, etc for the last 20+ years you gotta have volume or you are not going to make it.
    Hence my recent purchase of a new CPP3 to help support a company that despite a niche market, continues to support us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    Hence my recent purchase of a new CPP3 to help support a company that despite a niche market, continues to support us.
    Good call proven reliable German Quality!

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    It's a *beautiful* product, love the design, functionality and small footprint.
    Same here ! I don't believe he has any chance to achieve "high volume" but I guess CNC cutting of plexiglass could be very appropriate to the volume he his looking at.
    Pierre Leduc
    Following link is just a recent sample, pending presentable Large Format production...
    HTML Code:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/132200218@N02/

It's nice to see the effort, definitely some potential design flaws though (only 3 chemistry baths?). Personally I consider the Phototherm SSK-4 or -8 superior to this and all the Jobo offerings, but it's nice to see other people still coming up with interesting ideas.

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: New Film Processor

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Saw that and emailed the guy for a price; no 8x10 (yet), unfortunately.

For those who can't or don't want to follow a link to a video on another site, the device is called "Filmomat" and appears to have the following features:

* tempered water bath for film tank/drum and chemicals
    * accepts smallish drum for roll film and box/tank for 4x5 or 5x7 film sheets
    * programmable 3-step processing sequence
    * automatically fills and empties chemicals, apparently via connection at the bottom of the drum/tank
    * tank/drum mounted vertically in the water bath, agitation via bubbling air

This thing looks phenomenal. I am going to write him, I would buy this immediately if the price was in my budget, but I'm guessing it's not.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Someone on APUG said he got a quote of about $2000.00, but the maker was still sourcing parts for the build.