Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Red "D" on Nikkor-W 300mm f5.6

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Red "D" on Nikkor-W 300mm f5.6

Quote Originally Posted by filmfixing View Post
    Hi Thomas did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Stefano
    The last I heard from Nikon was what I posted earlier: Thank you for your patience. I received a response from Japan concerning the marking on the lens. A Red "R" referred to the use of the lens for "Reproduction" or duplication. "D" was for the same purpose. It could be used for 'Duplication'. That is all the information we have to offer on that subject. I imagine that the "R" and the "D" was meant to imply that the lens was a marco type and could be used for close-up photography but they discontinued that designation with these lenses. I have the 120mm that you have but with a serial number 700xxx which would seem to imply that it was manufactured at a later date than yours (I bought mine new from B&H around 2008). But a "D" or "R" notwithstanding these are extremely sharp lenses and can be used in close quarters to the subject. Both of my last 2 kallitypes were taken with the 300 SW.

Thomas

Thanks Thomas for your reply.

Do you think I'll be able to use this lens for landscapes?

Thanks again,
    Stefano

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Absolutely!

Around 40 years ago we ordered two view camera lenses which were to be used exclusively for close-up photography. The spacing of the front and rear elements were changed by the manufacture and the manufacturer included a letter after the serial number. I do remember that this "simple" modification was jaw droppingly expensive. Unfortunately for the life of me, the name of the manufacturer and the letter added have both completely slipped from my mind/brain. I want to say Nikon or Leitz, but am not positive that it was actually either of the two. So wish I had kept my notes from back then.

Post brings to mind Jeff Kay from Lens & Repro showing me a "Gold" dot Dagor and pointing out to me that the gold dot was added by someone other than the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    lenses which were to be used exclusively for close-up photography. The spacing of the front and rear elements were changed by the manufacture and the manufacturer included a letter after the serial number.
    That might be the case for this lens I just purchased, but I'm really hoping not.
    I would love to use this lens for general photography near and far and would be upset if my shots at infinity were compromised.
    I wish I knew more before I purchased it LOL!

Nothing on the Box is different then other SW 90mm f4.5 boxes to indicate something significant so I'm hoping its a small difference.

Also I'm not sure why a 90mm lens would be used for duplication work except for maybe being used in conjunction with the Linhof Reprocord System? and when using a medium format negative?

Stefano

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 11.22.34 AM.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	212984

Quote Originally Posted by filmfixing View Post
    That might be the case for this lens I just purchased, but I'm really hoping not.
    I would love to use this lens for general photography near and far and would be upset if my shots at infinity were compromised.
    Per the specs in my Nikkor brochure, front rim to the back rim of the 300mm Nikkor-W should measure 94.5mm.

On my 360mm Nikkor-W front to rear measurement is +.025mm from published factory spec of 107.5mm. Checked my 360mm lens and it has no shims to account for the +.O25mm. My problem is that my digital calipers won't open up far enough to get a precise measurement so I had to use a plastic ruler and the accuracy of the ruler could very easily account for that +.025mm.

I have a Nikkor-W 240mm lens - serial number 777--- that is earlier (I assume) than your 78---- serial number lens. My lens does not have the "D" or "R" letter designation. It could be as mentioned above - a copy lens - perhaps more flat field? Or optimised for a closer focus range? Your shutter looks exactly like my lens except for the added letter - so my assumption is that your lens is in it's original factory shutter. I bought my 240mm used from a camera store - so I don't know it's history.

It should be sharp and have quite a lot of coverage - much more than a Nikor 300mm M lens. Try it out and see where it takes you.
    Last edited by Robert Opheim; 22-Feb-2021 at 10:53. Reason: added info