Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portland Oregon

Portland Oregon

Hi all,
    Wanted some advice on an upcoming trip to Portland. I arrive Sat Dec 12 and am there until the 18th.
    I know one person there as well as a photographer I follow (whom works at a camera shop), Zeb Andrews and Flickr. Zeb has offered to show me around and whatnot, he told me the other day he would cook something up and email me back.

Although I wanted some generic advice and pointers. I don't drive in ice/snow much being from Texas, but will have an SUV.
    Also purchased crampons, per his advice.

I plan to bring my 4x5 kit (90mm and 210mm) and Hasselblad 500C/M (80mm lens).
    May also tote my Leica M2.

Thanks in advance for the help. Kinda going there solo and blind. A little nervous, but excited to explore.

Drew Wiley

Re: Portland Oregon

Black ice on the roads can be the name of the game up there, especially crossing the bridges near downtown or driving upriver into the Gorge, which can certainly
    be worthwhile if you drive carefully. It also helps to have a waterproof darkcloth and not just personal raingear. Some big microfiber towels are also useful for
    wiping your gear dry. You'll need them.

Ah, good ideas sir. Thanks. I don't normally shoot in snow/ice.
    I have a BTZS darkcloth. I think it is somewhat waterproof.

I also have lots of camping/raingear/boots/etc. I am carrying on only, so I won't have a ton of "gear", but I will do my best to have layers and be prepared.

At night, just wipe everything down good? Tripod, cameras, lenses, etc and let them breath?
    Assuming I am not in a hostel room with 8 other people. But I can leave it all out on bed while I read until locking it up.

When I was in South America and Europe I slept with my cameras haha.

We have far more rain than snow and ice, at least in the metro area. But if you want snow, you can certainly find it. What type of subjects do you usually shoot?

Forget about the subjects that you usually shoot. If you wanted to do that you could stay in Texas. Come on out to the Columbia River Gorge for some spectacular landscapes and views. This is the place I have chosen to live in, and it is like no other place I have ever seen.

I normally shoot landscapes, still life, etc. Nothing too exciting or new, but I enjoy it. It is slow paced and the opposite of normal life from my generation (20-somethings).
    Instagram Link
    Flickr Link
    Website

I would love to see the Gorge, any waterfalls even if frozen, etc etc. I don't know how much of what I can access or not, nor ever been there at all.
    Hoping to get some advice here and from the webs, as well as the few people I know that live in Portland.

Our son lived there for several years and I have visited many times. You will have a good time. Portland is a fun and visually interesting city full of restaurants and coffee shops and most residents seem to be about your age. The Gorge is beautiful with a very diverse landscape. Don't be too scared by the weather, compared to Chicago where I live it's quite mild. Although I was there once when they had snow and ice and the city shut down for a couple days—that was sort of fun too. You'll be on vacation after all...

I've attached a photo of the Gorge and of course it was raining. It always seems to rain when I travel for photography, sometimes record setting rain. But that's another story.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Definitely drive along the Gorge - it's not too far to Multnomah Falls. If you have time to drive around, there's Mt. Hood, Crater Lake, the high desert, the Pacific Coast, etc, etc.

Take a 45 minute drive to Cannon Beach. Quaint town and great vistas
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Drew Wiley

The wind whips down that Gorge in the winter and can turn the Gorge roads and bridges deadly with black ice even when the streets in town seem OK. Everyone up there uses studded tires in the winter, so I wouldn't take it for granted, esp this year when things have already started getting wacky. Uphill to the ski resort and Mt Hood is a different scenario, but I'd imagine chains would be required at a certain point. Driving toward the coast is less likely to be impacted by ice or snow. Astoria is a wonderful quiet town to poke around. It's pleasantly underwater about 80% of the summer, so probably 100% unpleasantly wet this time of year. One more argument for a Goretex darkcloth. When things just get too wet to travel far, there are some nice things to photograph in town, including the Rose Garden and around Lk Oswego. Downtown is kinda interesting too, provided you stay away from the newer part of it like Loyd Center. Or do like I do, and when things just get too wet for a view camera, pack MF or 35mm under your raincoat and go snapshooting.