Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Certotrop 9x12cm

Certotrop 9x12cm

Hello!

I have this Certotrop 9x12cm camera I picked up because, frankly, it's pretty. I haven't done much with it so far but I do have a couple questions. I haven't been able to find a whole lot of info so far.

- Are there any sources for film in this size? I've found a Foma offering but it's on backorder at the moment. Is cutting down 4x5 the best choice?
    - Can anyone explain this ground glass situation? Do I just focus on the ground glass then replace the back with a film holder?
    - I have some sort of pack film holder (still has really old Tri-X in it). Is there any way to use it without the original film packs?

Thanks for the info!
    Chris

Re: Certotrop 9x12cm

9x12cm is still a standard internet order item from a couple of German organisations. They also have the other standard metric sizes available (13x18 and 18x24cm).

Your proposed use of the GG insert is correct! Film pack holders can always be used a wet plate holders or as back-up GG.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Your proposed use of the GG insert is correct! Film pack holders can always be used a wet plate holders or as back-up GG.
    Steve, were there not film holder sleeves that went into the original plate holders?

Hi, Chris: I have the same camera as you, but mine is marked "BeeBee". It was imported into the US by Burleigh Brooks. Which lens/shutter combo do you have? Mine is a 135mm F4.5 Tessar in a Compur shutter. For more info see: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Certotrop

In the US, Freestyle, B&H and DigitalTruth.com have recently listed 9x12cm film. The current B&H web page says Foma 100 9x12 film is available as a "special order", with a 2 to 4 week delivery time.

I've read that it's possible to use a pack holder as a single-load sheet film holder by filling up the space in the back of it, but have not tried it.

There are many different variants of 9x12cm film/plate holders, but happily yours takes the most common type. Holders that fit the Zeiss Maximar, Kodak Nagel/Recomar, and Voigtlander Avus will also fit your Certotrop.

Most 9x12cm holders are for glass plates, and need an extra film sheath to correctly position sheet film. However, Kodak-branded holders will fit both plates and sheet film without needing an extra sheath. Watch eBay or try Pacific Rim for 9x12cm holders. (Although there were a few double-sided 9x12cm holders made for this style of camera, the vast majority are single-sided.)

In the US 9x12cm metal sheet film hangers for open tank development are not common. However, the easily-found Jobo 2521 tank and 2509 reel will develop six sheets of 4x5, 9x12cm or 6x9cm sheet film. Jobo intends it for rotary processing, but myself and others have used it for inversion with good results, using 10 minutes or longer developing times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Steve, were there not film holder sleeves that went into the original plate holders?
    There were and they aren't too hard to find. I bought a pack of9x12 Kodak film inserts NIB last year.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    There were and they aren't too hard to find. I bought a pack of9x12 Kodak film inserts NIB last year.
    I suspect you find them easily because of your location. I found mine by accident

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I suspect you find them easily because of your location. I found mine by accident
    Actually mine were made in the US by Eastman Kodak, as were the similar NIB Quarter plate film inserts I bought from the same person. Kodak sold a lot in the US for use with their Nagel Recommars as well as other 9x12 cameras. They are listed in a 1941 (war time) Kodak Ltd Professional Catalogue I have.

Ian

Love this old 9x12cm ladies..
    I took an original film/plateholder and glued an old rollfilm holder onto, after cutting a 6x9cm whole into the plateholder

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zeiss Kassette.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	142850

I don't like the original filmholders and the fiddling with them and the GG.
    So I replaced the "filmholder-holders" by a 9x12cm back from a monorail camera in one case, and I builded a kind of international wooden back, 4x5inch, in another case ( no pics at thistime, sorry).

Name:	Leim.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	142851

Name:	DSC01346.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	142852

Name:	DSC01350.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	142853

For me, the Ortho 25 film from Maco is a good idea for this 9x12 cameras and their old lenses.

I have 6 or 7 9x12 cameras, by chance they all use the same plate holders, I don't have a problem using single dark-slide holders and film inserts, Altough I do need to restore more of my holders

In addition I've just swapped 4 5x4 DDS film holders for some modern 9x12's which I'll use with my Postcard sized compact Graflex when I restore the sutter

Ian