Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A warning about SPUR HRX developer and defective bottles/bottling

A warning about SPUR HRX developer and defective bottles/bottling

A few months ago I bought two large SPUR HRX 250ml x 2 developer set from macodirect. They are cheaper in Europe (this set is $60 @ Freestyle).

After cracking open the first two bottles (part A and B), everything was fine, but then I didn't use the developer for a few weeks. When I next went to develop some film, Part B was almost completely gone. After investigating, I found some pin holes in the bottle which were leaking! I was really ticked off because this stuff is not cheap. I lost about 80% of the bottle.

I emailed Maco and complained but they pretty much told me too bad, it's your problem.

I checked my other set and everything seemed fine. I put them away in my cabinet. I just happened to look in that cabinet today and what do I find but most of Part B filling up the plastic bag that the set ships in. I cut the bag open and drained the developer into another container and the whole bottle of developer came out. What I found was the bottle was completely shattered on the bottom. This makes no sense as I haven't touched it since I bought it. It certainly didn't get knocked over.

My hypothesis is that Part B is disintegrating the plastic bottle it ships in, and after a long period of time, the bottle fails. If you buy this developer, immediately transfer Part B into a new bottle - probably best if it's glass.

I have no clue if the Part B I salvaged is any good. I sure hope so. The two sets I bought would be $120 from FS if I bought them here in the US. Apparently the set from Maco is much cheaper than when I bought it. I don't really understand the price flux.

Here's the bottles I'm talking about:

https://www.macodirect.de/chemie/sch...ckler-2x-250ml

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/12039-...eloper-2x250ml

Perhaps I should email the SPUR manufacturer and complain. I'm pretty annoyed.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: A warning about SPUR HRX developer and defective bottles/bottling

That's both unusual and dangerous. I thought manufacturer would've tested storage of chemicals in the same bottles they're are shipped with?

I would have assumed that too.

Interestingly, I was poking around their website, and I discovered that the smaller 100ml x 2 sets were discontinued because of a manufacturing problem with their bottles! So perhaps it isn't the interaction of the bottles and chemistry, maybe it was an actual physical defect. However, I am 100% certain the 2nd bottle was in perfect condition last I looked at it. There was a whole piece that was broken out of the bottle when I checked it. This kind of catastrophic failure of the bottle makes little to no sense unless the chemistry is acting on the bottle. Also, it was Part B both times. I wonder what is in Part B that could be degrading the bottle.

Film and Darkroom User

This is not acceptable, I would contact the manufacturer.

Barry

A quick glance at the MSDS indicates that this is a two-part PQ developer. Part B is likely only the potassium carbonate accelerator... I don't see how that will eat through a plastic bottle (maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong here). Possibly there was some physical damage to the bottles in shipping or a manufacturing defect.

FWIW, you might be able to mix a saturated solution of potassium carbonate and use that as your lost part B. I'd test first, but my guess is that is exactly what part B is...

Best,

Doremus

Sounds like defective bottles. It's not the Carbonate causing the pinholes. Macodirect should replace the item.

Ian

Part B appears to essentially be a mixture of alkalis in water. It does contain some hydroxide and the pH of of part B is stated to be 12.1. Not sure what kind of plastic is used in making these bottles but there's definitely something strange going on here.

Good call on the MSDS charts. First thing to do is see if the Part B I salvaged is usable, so I've gotta shoot some film that I won't be upset about if it doesn't work, etc.

I did find an email on their site and sent them a note about this issue. I found it impossible to post anything on their blog. It was giving me errors about Cookies and Javascript which I definitely had enabled, so their code seems broken.

I'll report back if they respond.

Maco told me (the last time) that it was too long after my order to get anything replaced. It was very difficult to communicate with them due to the language barrier. I imagine the same might happen with SPUR.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    It was very difficult to communicate with them due to the language barrier.
    If you need help with a German translation, let me know (PM).

Michael

Thanks Michael!