Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Lenses and their "personality"..

Re: Lenses and their "personality"..

Most of us know that most of the Heliar lenses are not actually true Heliar design, rather than of Dynar design.
    The exception being the Universal Heliar...

So here are two examples with both types, set on sharp..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-1.jpg   Untitled-1a.jpg  

Thanks for a bit of inspiration in the middle of January, Emil!

However, the lens engravings and the written text do not match - which is correct?

I don’t think there is any data about when ordinary Heliars became Dynars. It is probably at different serial numbers for the various focal
    Lengths.

well - I messed up - I'll correct it

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Thanks for a bit of inspiration in the middle of January, Emil!

However, the lens engravings and the written text do not match - which is correct?

I don’t think there is any data about when ordinary Heliars became Dynars. It is probably at different serial numbers for the various focal
    Lengths.

Now it should be right...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-1.jpg   Untitled-1a.jpg  

Good to see actual comparison

Thank you
    Tin Can

Emil Just found this thread. I'm just getting into LF photography and I find your pictures wonderful. It's giving me great ideas for creativity. Where do you start with these old lenses? Where to look for them? Do they work on new 4x5 cameras? Thanks. Alan.

Alan and Emil, pardon me for jumping in.

Alan, old lenses turn up on ebay.com and ebay.co.uk. If you read French or German respectively, and are willing to risk international transactions you can also look on ebay.fr, leboncoin.fr and ebay.de. Old lenses also show up on this site's classifieds, on photrio.com's classifieds, and on galerie-photo.info's occasions section. Camera shows have pretty much gone away, but look on photrio.com's United States/New Jersey section for announcements re one in north Jersey.

Lenses in shutter can be made to work on nearly all view cameras of all vintages. Using a lens in barrel may take a little creativity, such as putting a Packard shutter behind the camera's front standard or in front of the lens. Some, not all, barrel lenses can be hung in front of modern leaf shutters but the adapters needed to do this aren't cheap so getting the equivalent lens already in shutter is usually more cost effective.

I don't want to lower your hopes, but in my experience nearly all modern lenses (= anastigmats of any vintage) shoot well enough to use. I'm a certified ignorant barbarian insensitive to the fine points; I took the course, passed the exam and have the certificate. I can't reliably tell which lens (or lens type) was used to make the negative, transparency or print in front of me.

Specialty lenses, e.g., soft focus types, and pre-anastigmats are something else again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Emil Do they work on new 4x5 cameras? Thanks. Alan.
    Yes they do!
    If you look through the first “barrage” of images in this thread from Emil you will see that some of the lenses are quite huge. They have obviously been mounted on heavy duty studio cameras and many lenses have large focal lengths requiring bellows extension not available on most 4x5 or 5x7 cameras. You can get an idea of the cameras used from images supplied by Emil which show the lens boards they are mounted on. One of his Heliar lenses shows a board from the rare Voigtlander studio camera from the 1950’s which is actually only a 13x18cm model (photo).

There is shortage of classic short length soft lenses and prices are too much for just a foray into this area. However, landscape meniscus lenses are plentiful, cheap and the right size for smaller large format and Emil uses them too!

Experience, lighting and subject choice are far more important than a specific “soft/pictorial” lens. Apart from Emil’s traditional range of images, he is a master of applying alternative methods to these negatives/prints.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 580BCC3E-C652-4216-9F53-83E96565BE4D.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Schildt View Post
    Most of us know that most of the Heliar lenses are not actually true Heliar design, rather than of Dynar design.
    The exception being the Universal Heliar...

So here are two examples with both types, set on sharp..
    Beautiful examples taken with a nice lens Emil. I was hoping when I became the custodian I would start producing such beautiful works of art, but it seems the magic was in the artist, not his lens I hope you’re well my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Schildt View Post
    I have made some quick images of some of my lenses, and then added an image made by that lens...
    Hi Emil , could you help me to find out what Dallmeyer is it?

Is it Dallmeyer Rapid Landscape?

I'm looking for some soft lens with similar "personality"
    I don't like round bokeh like Petzval gives, and this your sample of a naked woman among the trees has the "picture" I have been looking for!

Am I right, the lens is about f11 but the photo was taken without aperture? as described here:https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3961637
    I'm a little confused how f11 could give such bokeh.

Thanks!