Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legs for a Camera Bag?

Legs for a Camera Bag?

Legs for a camera bag?

One feature that I'd really like to see on a bag or case is a set of legs. So you carry or drag that bag or hard case to the perfict place, and put it down, usually on the ground. I always look for a rock or bench so it doesn't have to go on the grond. Not to keep the bag from wear or dirt though. I find that at the tender age of 65 bending over or squatting (AND THEN STANDING UP AGAIN) just takes so much out of me.

I'd like to see a set of folding legs on a bag or case that would bring it up to waist height, or any level above grade level. A set of plastic fold out legs might be a natural factory option for the Pelican cases. Something put together from sections of PVC pipe and bungee coard might work for a backpack or bag.

Anybody have a good idea on how to do this?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Legs for a Camera Bag?

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Getting all the legs the right length on uneven ground is not worth the trouble. At the age of 69 I have found that I am better off bending over to place the pack on the ground, bending over to pick out the equipment, bending over to replace the equipment, bending over to pick up the pack and dusting off the pack. All of this has helped me keep me flexible and in better shape.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I use a backpack and hang it from a hook on the centerpost of the tripod. I'm careful to not let it swing and it works just fine. Everything stays clean, is readily accessible, and I don't have to bend down to the ground which is getting progressively less desirable.

Richard Wasserman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    That looks about as fiddly to set up as a Canham camera is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    That looks about as fiddly to set up as a Canham camera is.
    Probably more so....

It was just the first one I saw. I assume there could be more convenient ones available.

Richard Wasserman

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Getting all the legs the right length on uneven ground is not worth the trouble. At the age of 69 I have found that I am better off bending over to place the pack on the ground, bending over to pick out the equipment, bending over to replace the equipment, bending over to pick up the pack and dusting off the pack. All of this has helped me keep me flexible and in better shape.
    If bending and stooping work well for you, then that is what you should do, of course. It just doesn't work for me.

As for getting the legs even: sure some adjustment would be good to have, but getting everything level as in setting up the camera would not be necessary. The whole thing just needs to be convenient/comfortable to work from.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I carry a small camp chair and sit down. I can rest, I can reach things on the ground, I can set the camera GG low on tripod perfect for viewing while sitting and wait patiently for the shot.

My latest one is so tiny and lightweight it hangs from my belt, yet sits higher than most.

I hate picking things off the ground, if it's not valuable it stays there.

Yesterday I considered a $30 Costco under seat roller bag. With the telescoping handle I can raise it up and leave it. The thing will hold a small 5x7 and 6 holders. No stooping, especially when combined with my camp chair.

Try different ways.
    Tin Can

Randy: Thanks for the suggestions. I too use the strategies that you describe. Light weight folding stools in various configurations are part of my walking around kit along with a few different sets of wheels.

tThis idea of lags for a shoulder bag, backpack or hard case is presented here on the DIY Forum to see if anyone can come up with another way of dealing with being less vigorous/flexible .

Walking around an art supply store got me thinking this way when I saw painter's field kits withbuilt in easels and folding legs and thought about my 20-25 pound bag of 4x5 gear on the ground.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com