Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make a photo that looks old

How to make a photo that looks old

I'm trying to spoof some friends with a hoax photo, claiming that it's much older than it really is.

I have a 4x5 camera and modern, wide angle lenses but could probably borrow other lenses from friends, within a limited range. What should I think about when choosing film and equipment, shooting, and developing to make an image that looks old, and has no features anyone could point to and say "Ha! That means it must be recent!" - and how old can I make an image look, without resorting to antique equipment and exotic techniques (like wet plate)?

Many thanks for any and all suggestions!

Re: How to make a photo that looks old

iphone. wet plate app.

Andy Eads
    Pasco, Washington - the dry side of the state

Blue filter to mimic red-blind sensitivity.

You could do a vandyke brown....they look old. Especially with the right paper.

Quote Originally Posted by javidson View Post
    I'm trying to spoof some friends with a hoax photo, claiming that it's much older than it really is.

I have a 4x5 camera and modern, wide angle lenses but could probably borrow other lenses from friends, within a limited range. What should I think about when choosing film and equipment, shooting, and developing to make an image that looks old, and has no features anyone could point to and say "Ha! That means it must be recent!" - and how old can I make an image look, without resorting to antique equipment and exotic techniques (like wet plate)?

Many thanks for any and all suggestions!
    You don't mention if you want to make prints the old totally obsolete darkroom way, or just want to make a quick digi image for cell phones.
    Tin Can

Randy, please, the darkroom way is not "totally obsolete". It may be more so with kids under 65, but for us antiques who are not always in a hurry, it is still extremely viable.

If you have the time you need to obtain some orthochromatic film, X-ray seems to be the preferred film today, although I frequently use lith film also. You might find some NOS Ilford Ortho, or Maco Ortho at one of the dealers. No filter, and develop normally.

Sorry Jim, I was joking. I prefer film, have plenty of X-Ray film and shoot it in everything from Hasselblad to 11x14. Yesterday I was looking at Ilford 8x10 Ortho at B&H. Most of my prints look older than my 65 years. Do you think I bought that 7x17 because I don't like film?
    I thought my 'joke' was obvious. My mistake. We still don't know what OP really wants...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Randy, please, the darkroom way is not "totally obsolete". It may be more so with kids under 65, but for us antiques who are not always in a hurry, it is still extremely viable.

If you have the time you need to obtain some orthochromatic film, X-ray seems to be the preferred film today, although I frequently use lith film also. You might find some NOS Ilford Ortho, or Maco Ortho at one of the dealers. No filter, and develop normally.
    Tin Can

use Ilford Ortho film to mimic the old orthochromatic film look. Push it for extra grain. Sepia toning isn't too complicated if you are feeling adventurous.

These are all great suggestions. To clarify: I'm looking to create an image (maybe a 4x5 contact print) that can be used as "evidence" of something being old, to pass around at a mystery-themed party. Most of my friends are not keen photographers, so the image has to look old in an undefinable but natural way; but a couple are, so I'm trying to work out every way they could look at a print in close detail and spot that it's modern.

I love the idea of using pushed ortho film, or normal film with a blue filter (to avoid having to get a new film type, and learn how to handle litho film - seems like contrast might be a problem).

Will a modern lens leave a noticeable signature, if I stop right down to an old school f/64 kind of aperture?

Are there any other ways I could give the game away? Effectively: if I showed you a photo and said it was from 1910, how would you check that - how could you prove I was lying to you?

Oh, and I don't do my own darkroom work, but get on well with the folk at my local lab so they'll be happy to take any special instructions that aren't excessive.

Some really old photographic paper for your contact prints will carry you quite far in the illusion.
    Pierre Leduc
    Following link is just a recent sample, pending presentable Large Format production...
    HTML Code:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/132200218@N02/