Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So Long 8x20 (And Heavy)

Re: So Long 8x20 (And Heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Neil, how heavy is too heavy? To me, the 8x10 'dorff is too heavy at 12+ lbs. My 8x10 weighs only 5. Relatively easy to carry for a few miles.
    I am working on a 12x 20 Kodak conversion that will weigh 12-14lbs--too much to hike far, but fine for working near my SUV.

Just wondering...if you had an 8x20 with a weight similar to your Deardorff, would you be in, or would you still say not for me?
    After reflection (a lot of it), I favor enlarging 4x10 versus contact print 8x20. I like enlarging; it's effective, and it offers greater flexibility. Still, it was the weight issue that drove me to pass this outfit along to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by baro-nite View Post
    Even at 20-something a man should have enough experience of the world to know that he himself is not the measure of all things.
    Being perfect, I'm aware of this.

There are solutions. For one; ditch the 19 pound tripod. That is near the weight of my entire 8x20/14x20 system. Look for a used Miller CF tripod (or equivalent) used for video. Mine weighs 6-1/2 pounds and rigidly supports the camera. A Ries Head is lightweight and Strong. A modern camera design such as a Ritter weighs in at 13#. My camera and tripod with head weigh under 22#'s.

Quote Originally Posted by baro-nite View Post
    Even at 20-something a man should have enough experience of the world to know that he himself is not the measure of all things.
    I wish! 30 something

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    If only.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Being perfect, I'm aware of this.
    Oh! I'm so close to perfect! I'm this close to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I use a folding wagon to carry my 7x17 and 8x10 plus necessities, they use the same tripod and 5'x7' dark cloth. Being closer to 90 than 80 this enables me to continue using the cameras I like best.
    You Sir, are an inspiration!

Just keep making pictures; that's the important thing. I'd like to try ULF someday myself but who knows if I'll ever be able to make it happen? 4x5 and 3x4 will do for now.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    For a day hike I don't see how anything under 50 lbs is an issue, my ex's pack was 60lbs when we hiked the Grand Canyon for. 8 days, she was 5'4" and probably only 110 lbs herself. Mine was 80 lbs. I'm 5'9" and only 145lbs...

Even at 60 you should be able to handle 50 lbs for an hours hike before setting up, shooting, relaxing and enjoying the view, and hiking out.

That's not meant to be condescending, that is meant to be a perspective, if you can't handle that you probably should be getting some exercise and trying to strengthen your legs for health reasons, it's probably an indicator that you are out of shape. Don't get rid of the camera, just joined a gym and start doing leg strengthening exercises and abdominal and back strengthening exercises so that you can handle the camera, this will also ensure that you were walking and hiking further into your old age which means you'll be taking more pictures throughout your life and that you will probably extend your life further. All good things.
    Absolutely spot on. Get to the gym for an hour at least three times a week and do some real work. When someone whines about a 10-13 pound 8x10 being excessive and drawing the line at no more than nine pounds I cringe. I can almost bet that the last time they actually thought about their fitness was when they were in college and it was a requirement for their degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    May you stay forever young and healthy.
    Dylan !

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Photographer

Neil,

Post 2417 in this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...highlight=4x10

shows the Shen Hao 4x10 back I adapted to my Deardorff V8. A pretty easy project.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I bought a cart for my outfit. I think that a cart may be an essential for these cameras.

The 8x20 film I purchased from Phil Hudson went with the camera. As it turned out, the photographer who purchased the camera had a Wisner 8x10 Expedition. With the parts that I sold with the outfit, fitting the Wisner 8x20 conversion onto the Expedition required minimal effort. All he had to do is remove the adapter on the front of the 8x20 bellows.

I occurred to me that I could sell my 8x10 Deardorff and find an Expedition. But the more I thought about it, the more promising purchasing some 4x10 film holders and having a 4x10 back built for the Deardorff sounded.
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Absolutely spot on. Get to the gym for an hour at least three times a week and do some real work. When someone whines about a 10-13 pound 8x10 being excessive and drawing the line at no more than nine pounds I cringe. I can almost bet that the last time they actually thought about their fitness was when they were in college and it was a requirement for their degree.
    I don't know Neil's situation but there may be unmentioned underlying health issues that affected his decision.

Totally understandable to feel you're not able to keep up with things and the weights of some gear. We're all different, working in different locations, with different lifestyles and states of health. I live on a flat sandbar of an island, and can hike around with a ton of gear for various things at will, but would probably keel over and have a heart attack halfway to the top of most mountains out west in my current physical fitness state.

However, I would encourage people to step back and look for solutions to their logistical problems before throwing in the towel too easily. Gear might be heavy, but can frequently be made to feel far heavier due to how you carry it. Taking the time to read and study about packing methods could resolve issues for some. (And even if you don't use it to haul around super heavy gear, it can still make for a more comfortable experience when it comes to carting around a lighter kit in general.)

Carts and such can also make a huge difference depending on terrain and design of the cart.

To me I kind of feel like half the appeal of ultra large format is simply overcoming the logistical challenge of it. I am however a geek and fond of logistics and technical details, so I totally expect my views on things like that to attract some rather dirty looks from some quarters.

But at the end of the day you still have to do what makes you happy and keeps you shooting. Gear that sits and gathers dust isn't doing anything for anyone really, and if you aren't happy doing it then you aren't likely to keep going out with it.