Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help replacing the handle on a Graflex SLR

Help replacing the handle on a Graflex SLR

HELP! Have any of you replaced the handle on your Graflex SLR? I have a new handle and straps but I need to remove the old pins that held the original strap. How have you done this? I'm sure I can grind and punch them out but I want to see if there is a better way. Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pins.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	142168

Re: Help replacing the handle on a Graflex SLR

A dremel tool with a cutting disk does really well at these jobs.

^^What he said.
    The problem is installing the new strap if you intend to use rivets Although pop rivets may work they're not
    gonna be pretty.
    You may think about using "T" nuts and screws. T nuts as small as 2-56 can be had at hobby shops.

Thanks gents! I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottPhotoCo View Post
    Thanks gents! I'll give it a shot.
    Tim, Let me know how it works. My Super D needs a strap. Did you put a neck strap on yours?
    I got some film holders, a bag mag, a pack film adapter and a rear ground glass for it.

How is the SL66 working out?

J Durr

You don't have to use the old leather retainers for holding the strap... There are those chrome metal retainers that are for leather luggage handles (commonly used on guitar cases and amps), that hold one of the "dogbone" style handles... I got an exact hole spaced retainer that was a perfect fit for my RB Super D from a music repair guy...

The old rivets drilled out easily, and was replaced with S/S 2-56 screws, and the same size T-nuts in the inside lid...

A little more problematic was the strap itself... The Graflex handle is a bit short (I think the inside was around 7") from the stock available luggage handles, so DIY or custom will be required... (You can cut out your own from a very thick/wide leather belt...) Some of the "custom" quotes I had gotten were silly $$$!!! If you know someone that is a leatherworker, you should be able to get a reasonable deal...

Search for luggage repair supplies online, or bring the camera to a luggage repair or music repair place to let them match up the hardware...

Steve K

I replaced my leather strap handle with a luggage one from Lee Valley Tools. It comes with the proper attachments for the strap. I was lucky, it was a perfect fit.

Thanks for all of the ideas and recommendations. I have an original NOS strap and leather looks so it looks like I will be drilling out the old pins and using the machine screws to attach. The wonderful and knowledgable people in this group have made my life so much easier once again!

Quote Originally Posted by durr3 View Post
    Tim, Let me know how it works. My Super D needs a strap. Did you put a neck strap on yours?
    I got some film holders, a bag mag, a pack film adapter and a rear ground glass for it.

How is the SL66 working out?

J Durr
    I just bought a Dunlop Straplok detachable strap system meant for a guitar. I just need to figure out where to mount the posts and try it out.

The SL66 is still at Harry Fleenor's but I should hopefully get it back next week.

I used handles from Bretton Village: http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunk...ts/handles.htm The part is TH-16, cost is $10. THey aslo sell brass brackets, you can follow the link from that part listing. I used 2-56 machine screws to hold mine on

m
    Michael Cienfuegos