Thread: Ilford Multigrade Filter holder question

Ilford Multigrade Filter holder question

I just purchased a set of Ilford below the lens VC filters which came with a black plastic circle with three legs. No instructions were included, and the Ilford site has no information. I'm puzzled. What's it for?

Thanks,
    Wayne

Re: Ilford Multigrade Filter holder question

It clamps onto the lens to hold the filters.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I think I've got it figured out. With the filter holder clamping screws removed, the plastic ring's legs are clipped into the screw holes, then the assembly is stuck to the lensboard with a circle of sticky tape. This is great if you only use one lens.

Wayne

That doesn't sound right - you shouldn't need to use tape. I have a set buried in one of my darkroom cabinets, will try to find it and refresh my recollection of how I've used it.

It should have three thin bolts with their inner ends padded with rubber. These grip the side of the lens barrel when you screw them in....

Alan

There are several Ilford`s attachment systems and versions, user`s "propietary" systems aside.
    Plastic screws, metal screws with plastic pads, off lens pivotable arm, fixed arm, metal crown, plastic crown, etc.
    Looks like the latest is this one. Maybe the best of all.

Here's what the set that I have looks like - don't forget you can click on the picture to enlarge:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1382.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	141675

You need the filter "drawer". But depending on the size of your enlarging lens, the drawer can be supported using either the screws against the lens, or the circle-with-pegged-legs attached to the lensboard by screwing in the enlarging lens on top of it.

I just epoxied a series 6 retaining ring to mine and found slip-on adapters for each enlarging lens I use.

well, you already glued it on, but the diameter of the thingy with three plastic lens is (tada!): M39, so it can be fittet with the enlarger lens to the lens board of you enlarger.

NOW for something completely different: I have yet to fit a Schneider Companion-S 5.6/135 to my Liesegang Rajah VI (4x5) and that particular lens is M42… duh. Might have ti use the screws after all, the aperture can be set without turning the lower lens element (different from the fine Nikon EL on the picture above, same lens for my other enlarger for 35mm).

Rolf