Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone use the B&W King 5x7 (or 4x5) developing reel & tank (Nikor-like)?

Re: Anyone use the B&W King 5x7 (or 4x5) developing reel & tank (Nikor-like)?

I hope to communicate more use B&W KING photographer, use their experience.

I use the LUCKY 5 x7 film portrait, use B&W KING 5 x7 developing tank, d - 23 flushing for 20 minutes.
    Developing mixing methods: 3 minutes between developing tank a upside down
    Fixing mixing methods: 3 minutes between 2 turns
    This experience, can share with all of the photographers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6-1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	153535

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6-2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	153536

Nice Portraits , the little girl is cute.

Yes, nice portraits and clean, even develop looking negatives.

For those of us who own a B&W King tank (I have 4x5), I think it would be helpful if you passed along any more recent information regarding "best practices" when using your tank. For example, I have never had any success with twisting the reel; best success I've had is inversion agitation. But, even with inversion I wouldn't call the negatives perfectly even in development.

I have what I think is a King. It does 18 - 24 4x5 sheets at a time, roller agitation. I'm too chicken to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I have what I think is a King. It does 18 - 24 4x5 sheets at a time, roller agitation. I'm too chicken to use it.
    The B&W King 4x5 tank holds 10 sheets of film. Not sure what you mean by "roller agitation", but the King tank has small rollers on the bottom of the film reel that allow the user to twist/twirl the reels using the cap of the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Are you talking about the King Concept processor that was made in the USA and is electrically operated or the Chinese manually operated tank that the OP is asking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post

For those of us who own a B&W King tank (I have 4x5), I think it would be helpful if you passed along any more recent information regarding "best practices" when using your tank. For example, I have never had any success with twisting the reel; best success I've had is inversion agitation. But, even with inversion I wouldn't call the negatives perfectly even in development.
    I'm new to LF. Received my Wista SP a couple days ago. Based on the previous messages in this thread, I was about to to order the 4x5 BW King. However, I am now reluctant to do so. I don't have frequent enough access to a dark room to "waste" it processing film, so need something like the BW King to process the film in daylight. I would like to second Alan's request for "best practices."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shula View Post
    I'm new to LF. Received my Wista SP a couple days ago. Based on the previous messages in this thread, I was about to to order the 4x5 BW King. However, I am now reluctant to do so. I don't have frequent enough access to a dark room to "waste" it processing film, so need something like the BW King to process the film in daylight. I would like to second Alan's request for "best practices."

Thanks
    IMHO, I wouldn't recommend the B&W King tank to a new user of LF. Don't get me wrong it's a fine tank, but only years of experience with various processing methods for LF film will enable you to ferret out proper technique for the B&W King tank. Perhaps if there was more universally understandable support or more users of the King tank, my opinions would be different. But, it is what it is...

If you don't have access to a darkroom or any room that would serve the purpose, you may want to look at the new SP-445 tank. It's only now beginning to ship to Kickstarter supporters, but should be generally available soon. It will enable you to process up to 4 sheets of 4x5 in daylight. No idea, yet, of its capability to provide even development, but such information should be readily available soon.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    IMHO, I wouldn't recommend the B&W King tank to a new user of LF.

If you don't have access to a darkroom or any room that would serve the purpose, you may want to look at the new SP-445 tank. . . No idea, yet, of its capability to provide even development, but such information should be readily available soon.

Good luck!
    I don't understand why you suggest the new sp-445 over the BW King since you write that you don't know whether the sp-445 will provide even development.

By the way, although I am new to LF, I have many years developing medium format film. In fact, that's why I was attracted to the BW King since it appears to be similar to the reels and tanks I use for my 120 film.