Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone use the B&W King 5x7 (or 4x5) developing reel & tank (Nikor-like)?

Anyone use the B&W King 5x7 (or 4x5) developing reel & tank (Nikor-like)?

Has anyone tried the B&W King developing reel & tank system? It appears similar in design to the Nikkor 4x5 reel & tank (which some like, others do not). Unlike the Nikkor, one B&W King model will take 5x7 film, up to 6 at a time. The construction differs from the Nikkor in that the spiral reel ends are cast stainless, so it does not have the numerous welds that the Nikkor required to manufacture.

B&W King web site

Demo on YouTube.

They are also sold on eBay.

Thank you.

Re: Anyone use the B&W King 5x7 (or 4x5) developing reel & tank (Nikkor-like)?

Never heard of it.

Looks good at first blush.

Need a road test.
    Tin Can

I have the 5x7, reel has little wheels on the bottom and there is a handle so you can spin the reel. Nikkor tank does not have this. Construction is good, but top does leak a little when inverting on mine. There are not many daylight tanks for 5x7 other than a Jobo. Results are fine, loading is no problem for me - but I use IR goggles - might be a problem working in the dark.

Doesn`t the central "core" arc part touch the sheets while loading/unloading? All my developing devices are designed to avoid parts in possible contact with the image area.

Quote Originally Posted by jose angel View Post
    Doesn`t the central "core" arc part touch the sheets while loading/unloading? All my developing devices are designed to avoid parts in possible contact with the image area.
    No, you load this like the 4x5 Nikkor tank. Sheets should be flat so they glide into top and bottom slots. If you are worried about touching, you could use every other slot. The spin agitation puts less stress on the sheets so they should not touch during processing.

Thanks Bob.

Do you invert when developing, or just use the internal rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mann View Post
    I have the 5x7, reel has little wheels on the bottom and there is a handle so you can spin the reel. Nikkor tank does not have this. Construction is good, but top does leak a little when inverting on mine. There are not many daylight tanks for 5x7 other than a Jobo. Results are fine, loading is no problem for me - but I use IR goggles - might be a problem working in the dark.
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by David Aimone View Post
    Do you invert when developing, or just use the internal rotation?
    I do not invert the tank, rotation works OK.

The system looks interesting. I'm going to follow this thread and will be interested in others' experiences.

That looks kind of neat, a road test is indeed called for. At ~$200 for a 5x7 set it's not ...too horrible...

Bob Mann what do you use for goggles and where are the found (besides ebay of course)? I have almost 0 knowledge about them.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---