Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone use the B&W King 5x7 (or 4x5) developing reel & tank (Nikor-like)?

Re: Anyone use the B&W King 5x7 (or 4x5) developing reel & tank (Nikor-like)?

Quote Originally Posted by Shula View Post
    I don't understand why you suggest the new sp-445 over the BW King since you write that you don't know whether the sp-445 will provide even development.

By the way, although I am new to LF, I have many years developing medium format film. In fact, that's why I was attracted to the BW King since it appears to be similar to the reels and tanks I use for my 120 film.
    I was simply suggesting the SP-445 tank as an alternative to the B&W King. The developer of SP-445 is a photographer and has posted various trial development runs that reveal even development, but I never believe "facts" until I see it for myself. I was a Kickstarter backer on this project so I've got one on the way; then, we'll see. Personally, I haven't had much luck with the B&W King tank. But, it does hold 10 sheets of film vs 4 for the SP-445. As always, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Shula View Post
    ... ...
    By the way, although I am new to LF, I have many years developing medium format film. In fact, that's why I was attracted to the BW King since it appears to be similar to the reels and tanks I use for my 120 film.
    Shula
    Every developing tank has its special operation method.Like to drive the British and American cars, the operation will be different, but the basic principle, by the way, will soon be able to master.B&W KING is the same situation.Its installation film and remove the film has its own way, but is very simple, to grasp easily.You are a darkroom experience old photographer, without any problems.
    Few people, no photography foundation, one step into the ranks of large format photography.Which it will be very tired.Because basic knowledge need to learn too much,......

An update on the use of my 5x7 tank. It seems to function well, but I have to figure out an alternative for my Pyrocat-MC constant rotation routine:

1. I'm finding some markings/patterns from top to bottom in the middle of the film, about where the middle supporting bar is. This wasn't as pronounced when I used intermittent agitation, but I like the results better with constant agitation.

2. The tank is rotating fine enough, but I think I'm getting repetitive motion soreness using it. The little cap and ring to me are not useable, so I wear gloves and turn the strip of metal in the fill port.

Suggestions?

Also, a suggestion for something to attach to that metal in the fill port to make rotation easier on the hand/wrist? Thought of trying a vise-grip but looking for a more elegant solution.
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by David Aimone View Post
    An update on the use of my 5x7 tank. It seems to function well, but I have to figure out an alternative for my Pyrocat-MC constant rotation routine:

1. I'm finding some markings/patterns from top to bottom in the middle of the film, about where the middle supporting bar is. This wasn't as pronounced when I used intermittent agitation, but I like the results better with constant agitation.
    I'm assuming by your comment below that your constant agitation routine is to spin the reel? How fast/slow are you spinning it? I finally settled on inversion agitation with this tank, but back when I was first experimenting with spinning the reel I found I was spinning too fast. Slowing the rotation and moving as smoothly as possible (IMO not easy with the cap) helped minimize the marks you describe, but I was never able to completely eliminate them. Hence the switch to inversion agitation, though that method also generates very slight higher density around the center bars.

2. The tank is rotating fine enough, but I think I'm getting repetitive motion soreness using it. The little cap and ring to me are not useable, so I wear gloves and turn the strip of metal in the fill port.
    Yep, I did the same thing because I found using the cap too "jerky." Personally, I really like your idea of a small vise-grip...I may try that! As I was typing this I thought... I wonder if the spinning rod from a Paterson System 4 tank would work; might have to modify slightly to fit over the metal tab in the B&W tank.

If you arrive at something that works that provides perfectly even development, I'd be most interested to hear of your solution.

Good luck!

My suggestion (which I have not yet tried) is make a larger "knob" out of PVC plumbing pipe. The PVC plastic is relatively easy to saw and you can use PVC cement to glue various pieces together. Use PVC pipe small enough to just fit inside the top hole and cut two slotted notches in one end that fit onto the baffle in the hole (see drawing #1, lower half). This might be all you need to make.

A more complex knob could use seveal short lengths of larger diameter PVC pipe to increase the diameter of the upper tube (see drawing #1, upper half). You could then also put a PVC reduction diameter fitting to create a cone shaped cover larger in diameter than the hole (see drawing #2). The cone would rest on the tank top, helping to block light and preventing pushing down on the baffle when you turn the knob.

Jim

<snip>

Suggestions?

Also, a suggestion for something to attach to that metal in the fill port to make rotation easier on the hand/wrist? Thought of trying a vise-grip but looking for a more elegant solution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2119BW King PVC Turning Knob, 1 of 2.jpg   IMG_2118BW King PVC Turning Knob, 2 of 2.jpg  

The vise grip idea is attractive to me because it really gives you leverage and the ability to turn it slowly but smoothly with little effort. I'm going to go out and buy a small one and try it.

The idea with the slotted pvc is also good, but I'd want to put a slot on both ends and some kind of cross bar across the top for additional leverage and control. But I'm wondering if it would not hold well, as would obviously not be a problem with vise grips.
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I'm assuming by your comment below that your constant agitation routine is to spin the reel? How fast/slow are you spinning it? I finally settled on inversion agitation with this tank, but back when I was first experimenting with spinning the reel I found I was spinning too fast. Slowing the rotation and moving as smoothly as possible (IMO not easy with the cap) helped minimize the marks you describe, but I was never able to completely eliminate them. Hence the switch to inversion agitation, though that method also generates very slight higher density around the center bars.
    If you arrive at something that works that provides perfectly even development, I'd be most interested to hear of your solution.
    Good luck!
    I also use B&W KING.We use communication experience.
    1, the film in the middle of the uneven development of stripes, also has appeared in my operation.The main reason is that the rotation speed.When I operate, Slowly turned the tank (it 's rotation feature) one turns every one minute. Problem solved.The film image is uniform.
    2, upside down and shake the traditional development method applies B&W KING.Once every 2 minutes upside down.The effect is very good
    B&W KING is a manual operation, and the enhancement operation time is different also, it is difficult to give a fixed quantitative method.We can only through the test, find out suitable operation method.
    This 5 x7 film, is I developed 13 minutes, rotating once every 2 minutes.
    Girl's 5 x7 film, enhancement of 17 minutes, once every 3 minutes upside down.
    I couldn't speak English, that is computer translation, there is likely to be wrong, please forgive me

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07322-2016-01-31.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	154258

Name:	6-2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	154259

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Yep, I did the same thing because I found using the cap too "jerky." Personally, I really like your idea of a small vise-grip...I may try that! As I was typing this I thought... I wonder if the spinning rod from a Paterson System 4 tank would work; might have to modify slightly to fit over the metal tab in the B&W tank.
    B&W KING of developing tank lid can be adjusted.If some rotation problem (loose or card), simply adjust the tank two screws.
    Reference images.

Name:	04.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	154261

The 25th is pay day for most people in Sweden - me included - which led me to rush onto eBay on my morning break to spend some of those hard earned :-

To my utter despair, the BW-King store was EMPTY!!!

Not a single tank in sight.

What cruel gods govern this world, and why do they hate me??

does the 5x7 tank also work for 4x5? or do i need to buy separate tanks? (ouch)