Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone use the B&W King 5x7 (or 4x5) developing reel & tank (Nikor-like)?

Re: Anyone use the B&W King 5x7 (or 4x5) developing reel & tank (Nikor-like)?

For anyone using these tanks having rotation problems (hanging-up when you change from CW to CCW), check to see if the bottom rollers on the reels are all touching evenly on a smooth surface. I needed to bend the support arms for the rollers very slightly (up or down) to prevent the reel from "rocking" to one side. Now both of the sets I purchased turn very smoothly. The first batch of twenty negatives (4x5) are as perfect, from a development point, as I can see. I am very pleased with this product and Liu's correspondence with me on some questions I had for him.

Hi David,

I've just started using a B&W King 5x7 tank, and I'm getting very uneven development. I'm using xTol 1:1 with Tri-x 320, which gives me a 9 minute development time (from Kodak's data sheet). Could you tell me how long a development time are you using, and if you don't mind the frequency of rotations and inversions. Also are you doing any additional agitation for the first minute?

I'm hoping that better technique will give me better results, the labs here in Melbourne charge $15 a sheet - which makes processing my own very attractive - so long as I can get decent results.

Thanks, David

Quote Originally Posted by David Aimone View Post
    A personal update on using my 5x7 B&W King tank. I'm now getting perfect development with the following modification. After loading the tank, I use electrical tape to seal the top onto the bottom of the tank. When agitating, I alternate between internal rotation and inverting the tank by holding the little cap tightly on top. The electrical tape prevents leakage around the tank.

I was getting a faint vertical streak on my negatives where the non-emulsion side rested against the metal bar in the middle of the negative. The combination of rotation and inversion seems to have solved this issue and produces nice and evenly developed negatives. Since others have not had this problem, I am assuming it was due to either the film or the developer I'm using, or that the fixer wasn't clearing completely. I don't know, but this seems to have solved the problem nicely.

I'm using Pyrocat MC 1+2+100 on this Arista (Fomapan) 400 for about 14 minutes (11 minutes for Arista 100). Agitate full first minute, but fairly gentle, slow inversions to start then setting it down and rotations. Then 10 seconds every minute, gentle inversions every 2 seconds or so for one cycle, rotations the next cycle, back and forth. It might be overkill to alternate inversions and rotations but it seems to work better for me than either of the two alone. And with Pyrocat, the inversions and rotations seem to like gentle and not too fast, so a cycle about every two seconds per inversion or rotation. The image of mine posted was with this newest approach.

Hope that helps. 4x5 I do with these films continuous in a Jobo on a motor base-- 11 and 8:30 for 400 and 100 ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by travelight View Post
    Hi David,

I've just started using a B&W King 5x7 tank, and I'm getting very uneven development. I'm using xTol 1:1 with Tri-x 320, which gives me a 9 minute development time (from Kodak's data sheet). Could you tell me how long a development time are you using, and if you don't mind the frequency of rotations and inversions. Also are you doing any additional agitation for the first minute?

I'm hoping that better technique will give me better results, the labs here in Melbourne charge $15 a sheet - which makes processing my own very attractive - so long as I can get decent results.

Thanks, David
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

I am sadly seeing rust developing in places on mine. I didn't start using it until after the 1st of this year. Not a tremendous amount of use. I'm bummed as it is a really well built item. Extremely well made. I have emailed the owner and am awaiting his response. I have two other places rusting as well but cant seem to post more than one photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3913.jpg  

I just received a response from the BW Man and he will make this right. I admire his honesty. He will send me a new reel. He said it was not cleaned of the casting residue properly and this causes rust. It is all stainless steel its just the residue thats making the rust. I still believe in this product big time. It is really built like a tank.

Great! I've not had that problem, and mine's had quite a bit of use, so hopefully your replacement will do the trick!
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPRyan View Post
    I am sadly seeing rust developing in places on mine. I didn't start using it until after the 1st of this year. Not a tremendous amount of use. I'm bummed as it is a really well built item. Extremely well made. I have emailed the owner and am awaiting his response. I have two other places rusting as well but cant seem to post more than one photo.
    I just received a response from the BW Man and he will make this right. I admire his honesty. He will send me a new reel. He said it was not cleaned of the casting residue properly and this causes rust. It is all stainless steel its just the residue thats making the rust. I still believe in this product big time. It is really built like a tank.
    If the problem happens again then a short soak in a warm solution of citric acid will get rid of the rust with little to no effect on the reel itself (granules can be obtained from the usual places and will also descale your kettle and is more environmentally friendly, and cheaper, than the usual descalers).

Dear MichaelPRyan
    I received your letter and saw your picture.Apologize for the problem with B&W KING.
    1. Please believe that all the parts of B&W KING are made of 304 stainless steel. My contract to the manufacturer is clear.
    2. The upper and lower parts of the film mounting rack can only be used for precision casting because of the complex shape.It is very likely that the rust marks are caused by the insufficient cleaning of the casting residue.
    3. In the processing of B&W KING, the welding and casting process will produce rust marks.This is normal.In the end, it will be treated with strong acid to ensure the brightness of stainless steel products.
    4. The rust mark shown in your photo should be the reason for the final acid washing not in place.
    Because the whole B&W KING product is supervised or handled by myself, I will tell you the whole process, please don't worry too much.
    Solution:
    1. Please use a high concentration of acetic acid (fixative liquid raw material) or stainless steel passivation cleaning solution to soak, the rust will soon disappear.This is my way of dealing with this problem.
    2.Please tell me the address of your order B&W KING on ebay. I will send you a new product as soon as possible.Solve your problem thoroughly.
    I'm a retired photographer. B&W KING is my own product. It took eight years to develop the product. Each B&W KING process is done by myself.I will strengthen the inspection of the product, less similar mistakes.
    B&W KING is a new brand and new product. I promise to be responsible and satisfactory to every photographer who USES B&W KING.
    Again, I apologize for the problem.
    I can't speak English, this is a computer translation, there is probably a mistake, please understand.
    Best regards

BW Man,

I never once doubted your integrity or honesty or anything like that. I was simply concerned with the rust that was appearing. I don’t have any background in metals so I didn’t know why rust would appear when it was stainsless steel. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again it is extremely well made and very robust. It’s a pleasure to see such a product anymore. I will try using some acid and see what happens. thanks again for your response.

Thank you for your concern
    Quote Originally Posted by bw-man View Post
    Dear MichaelPRyan
    I received your letter and saw your picture.Apologize for the problem with B&W KING.
    1. Please believe that all the parts of B&W KING are made of 304 stainless steel. My contract to the manufacturer is clear.
    2. The upper and lower parts of the film mounting rack can only be used for precision casting because of the complex shape.It is very likely that the rust marks are caused by the insufficient cleaning of the casting residue.
    3. In the processing of B&W KING, the welding and casting process will produce rust marks.This is normal.In the end, it will be treated with strong acid to ensure the brightness of stainless steel products.
    4. The rust mark shown in your photo should be the reason for the final acid washing not in place.
    Because the whole B&W KING product is supervised or handled by myself, I will tell you the whole process, please don't worry too much.
    Solution:
    1. Please use a high concentration of acetic acid (fixative liquid raw material) or stainless steel passivation cleaning solution to soak, the rust will soon disappear.This is my way of dealing with this problem.
    2.Please tell me the address of your order B&W KING on ebay. I will send you a new product as soon as possible.Solve your problem thoroughly.
    I'm a retired photographer. B&W KING is my own product. It took eight years to develop the product. Each B&W KING process is done by myself.I will strengthen the inspection of the product, less similar mistakes.
    B&W KING is a new brand and new product. I promise to be responsible and satisfactory to every photographer who USES B&W KING.
    Again, I apologize for the problem.
    I can't speak English, this is a computer translation, there is probably a mistake, please understand.
    Best regards

Well I'm actually quite astounded that bw-man has sent me a new reel AND tank! I have not seen customer service like this in a very long time. It is rare. I actually received it a while back and was out of town so I didn't realize it was even here. If anyone is interested in his product I wouldn't hesitate for one minute with the purchase. I'm so glad there are people like this in the photo community. Refreshing.