Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone use the B&W King 5x7 (or 4x5) developing reel & tank (Nikor-like)?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone use the B&W King 5x7 (or 4x5) developing reel & tank (Nikor-like)?

Has anyone tried the B&W King developing reel & tank system? It appears similar in design to the Nikkor 4x5 reel & tank (which some like, others do not). Unlike the Nikkor, one B&W King model will take 5x7 film, up to 6 at a time. The construction differs from the Nikkor in that the spiral reel ends are cast stainless, so it does not have the numerous welds that the Nikkor required to manufacture.

B&W King web site

Demo on YouTube.

They are also sold on eBay.

Thank you.

Re: Anyone use the B&W King 5x7 (or 4x5) developing reel & tank (Nikkor-like)?

Never heard of it.

Looks good at first blush.

Need a road test.
    Tin Can

I have the 5x7, reel has little wheels on the bottom and there is a handle so you can spin the reel. Nikkor tank does not have this. Construction is good, but top does leak a little when inverting on mine. There are not many daylight tanks for 5x7 other than a Jobo. Results are fine, loading is no problem for me - but I use IR goggles - might be a problem working in the dark.

Do you invert when developing, or just use the internal rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mann View Post
    I have the 5x7, reel has little wheels on the bottom and there is a handle so you can spin the reel. Nikkor tank does not have this. Construction is good, but top does leak a little when inverting on mine. There are not many daylight tanks for 5x7 other than a Jobo. Results are fine, loading is no problem for me - but I use IR goggles - might be a problem working in the dark.
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by David Aimone View Post
    Do you invert when developing, or just use the internal rotation?
    I do not invert the tank, rotation works OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mann View Post
    Three cheers for the IR googles! Kodak and the rest have used for years. I'm using some toy set that I bungee to my head. Amazing! I have a Nikor sheer tank and the CL81 8x10 reel. There a piece of cake with the goggles, damned scary without.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151010_164402-1-1_resized_2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	142955
    You look pretty dumb but these work. Jakks Pacific Spy Net IR goggles. Two sets of LEDs one full IR the other near IR. I taped over the NIR LEDS so I wouldn't accidentally activate. The IR LEDS have had absolutely no effect on any film I've tried. Obviously no Ilford or Maco IR. Now I have installed a IR flood on the wall 20 bucks off of eBay.
    I covered the IR LEDS on the binoculars because it is so bright it blinds you, silver halide emulsions are bright white by IR. I can hold a Hewes reel in my hand and read "British Made" in total darkness. I paid about 75 bucks for the binoculars on Amazon. I use a bungee to hold them to my face. You watch what's going on via a small color led tv screen built into the goggles, I need glasses to read but I have a pair that fits inside.
    I'm totally sold on this,I use them as insurance I don't do something stupid, with the cost of 8 x10 film I'm not taking any chances. And I actually prefer the Jobo 2509n reels now as they are a piece of cake to load when you can see.
    For 75 bucks don't expect the moon. Single lens means no depth perception at all, manual focus wheel for plastic lens, in hot weather my glasses fog up, very narrow field of view. But you can see exactly what you NEED to see to insure reels, holders, and hangers are loade exactly as intended.
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151010_164402-1-1_resized_2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	142955
    You look pretty dumb but these work. Jakks Pacific Spy Net IR goggles. Two sets of LEDs one full IR the other near IR. I taped over the NIR LEDS so I wouldn't accidentally activate. The IR LEDS have had absolutely no effect on any film I've tried. Obviously no Ilford or Maco IR. Now I have installed a IR flood on the wall 20 bucks off of eBay. .
    Can you post a link of which IR flood you bought? I bought one with about 50 leds, and within a week, more than 3/4 of them were out. I read that an unregulated wall wart, even of the right voltage and amperage, could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Can you post a link of which IR flood you bought? I bought one with about 50 leds, and within a week, more than 3/4 of them were out. I read that an unregulated wall wart, even of the right voltage and amperage, could do that.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/164Feet-4LED...MAAOSwT6pVk1aV

This is where I got my light has 4 leds 18.95, I have nothing to do with this guy, Mine seems to work OK . This kind of stuff is all over ebay. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/164Feet-4LED...MAAOSwT6pVk1aV

This is where I got my light has 4 leds 18.95, I have nothing to do with this guy, Mine seems to work OK . This kind of stuff is all over ebay. Good Luck
    Please describe it - model number, any other identifying information, name of seller - so that others might have a chance to find it when that listing scrolls off.