Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iceland Car Rental

Iceland Car Rental

I will be in Iceland next May and need a car to tour the ring road.

Can anyone recommend a car rental agency they were happy with and any I should avoid.

Much appreciated.

Re: Iceland Car Rental

For the ring road in May you need no 4x4. Rent as small a car as possible because rental cars in Iceland are expensive. Hertz , Avis, Europacar (www.holdur.is), a german company Hasso (www.hasso.is) all have relativly new cars that are relieable. If you fly Icelandair, they own the Herz agency in Iceland and they might give you a better deal if you book your rental car +flight. Book your car before you come to avoid sales tax and do not do business with rentals that rent out old cars although cheep.

Do or do not. There is no try.

We rented a Toyota Yaris from mycar.is. For a small extra fee they dropped it off at our hotel in Reykjavik so we didn't have to worry about it until we were ready to leave the city. We declined the GPS they wanted to rent us, but they threw it in anyway, and a good thing as finding their location near the airport for dropoff would have been near impossible without it. They were easy to deal with and the rate was good. Yes, a Yaris is small but it's fully appropriate for the roads in Iceland, which are not wide. And with a national speed limit of 100kph on the bigger roads you won't need any more car than a Yaris or equivalent microbox.

Note ! The speed limit is 90 km/h and they charge you a nasty fine if they catch you at driving faster.

Not only that but they only have one blue Smart Car and one red Smart Car available, according to the "Secret Life of Walter Mitty".

Believe me, there's PLENTY to see while driving around Iceland that you won't NEED to go faster than 90km/h before you will want to get out of the car and see it without the windshield blocking your view

Thanks very much for all of the responses. I can't wait to get to Iceland, and May should not be busy on the ring road.

Has anyone had any experience with Blue Car Rental?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with Blue Car Rental?
    I used them the week before last. Service was great, price good and no complaints about the car.

There are 160(!) rental car agencies in Iceland. Before I visited Iceland, I've checked reviews on TripAdvisor. I selected Saga Car Rental = Dollar = Thritfy (the same company) and I can reccomend them. One tip of advice: rental car cost highly depends on time of pick up and return.
    Also, check out my Flickr stream if you are interested in GPS locations (https://www.flickr.com/photos/jaz99/).