Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Universal polaroid 110/900 to 4X5 conversion project

Re: Universal polaroid 110/900 to 4X5 conversion project

I looked at the KS site aghain and I am still not clear on what level of support gets what level of reward. Do I have to supply my own camera body and lens? Can I get a different focal length besides 127mm?

Depending on the final cost for an all-up camera, I have some doubts about the viability of the project. During the so-called conversion wars of the mid 2000s,threats of legal actions went back and forth, patent infringement, restraint of trade, defamation and so on. None of it ever actually went beyond angry letters. No court settlement or mediation; no resolution. I believe this is because the market for this type of camera is a small nich of an already small market, Large Format Pgotography.

If that is the case, I do not anticipate a smashing success for this KS project in the near term. Abnother KS project in the recent past offered complete cameras at a solid price point. Don't think tha tone went anywhere.

My analysis is open to question of course, and time will tell.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Drew, you get an anodized aluminum back that fits your polaroid camera for $599. If you want another back, pledge for a different back/amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    I looked at the KS site aghain and I am still not clear on what level of support gets what level of reward. Do I have to supply my own camera body and lens? Can I get a different focal length besides 127mm?
    Yes, you have to supply your own camera + lens. For $599 (early bird) or $699, what you get is an adapter frame that you attach to your own Polaroid roll film camera, which will allow you to use the camera with 4x5 holders.

I have a Polaroid 600SE that would be interesting to use with roll film but not at those costs. It would be cheaper to get the Mamiya M adapter and a roll film back though the cost of those has always held me back. Well that and the fact that the 600 SE is a pretty limited MF camera. Still that's pretty cool of them to create a broad range of applications like that.

So the end user disassembles the Polaroid roll film parts from the body and installs the adapter. What adjustment must then be made for the lens? For example; If the body for conversion is say, a 110xxx with a 127mm lens, the adapter will move the film plane back substantially. How does the end user readjust the set up for infinity focus? What changes need to be made to the rangefinder linkage or cam? How are these issues different if an other lens is used?

My recollection, from the discussions here and elsewhere in the precious decade, is that the resolution of these issues is more than half the effort required to turn out a useful conversion.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

There is a focus set plate supplied with the conversion, you can see it at the beginning of the video.

Can you do up a back for other LF cameras? How about a 5x7 extension for a Speed Graphic or Linhoff?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

Can you do up a back for other LF cameras? How about a 5x7 extension for a Speed Graphic or Linhoff?
    The guy behind this kickstarter project hasn't chimed in and I'm not sure he's part of this forum. Who are you asking?

Even though that does not seem like a complicated add on to this system, i suspect that a 5X7 back will dramatically reduce the ability to look through the rangefinder....