Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tachihara 4x5 question

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Re: Tachihara 4x5 question

here is the ad.

Tachihara 4x5 Field, red cherry wood, chrome hardware, 16" bellows extension, 4lb., Fresnel bright Screen, lens board, Ex++/Mint-
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Well, I'm curious now. Could be a simple mistake, or a 5x7 with 4x5 back, or a 4x5 with one of those extension dohickys, or your dream one-of-a-kind factory prototype!

Let us know when you receive it.

hopefully its not a mistake, the 16 inch bellows was the main reason I bought it, I will post pictures of it when I get it

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    I bought mine new in 1996 and it still is my main LF camera. It was knocked over by wind in Death Valley in 1997 and the rear standard metal support was badly bent. It has been that way ever since, I have to adjust the alignment with a level for every shot. I keep telling myself that I will get it fixed some day...
    I really liked the Tachi but when I went to 8x10 my lenses got bigger and heavier. I have a 4x5 reducing back so I sold the Tachihara on Ebay for a little more than I paid new.

It was so pretty that people were asking me if I refinished the antique camera myself. They were shocked when I told them they were still being made.

I've used a variety of cameras but the one which most consistently draws attention and pleasant conversation is the Cherry/Brass Tachihara. Once, a passing motorist pulled over so quickly that he ran into a ditch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I've used a variety of cameras but the one which most consistently draws attention and pleasant conversation is the Cherry/Brass Tachihara. Once, a passing motorist pulled over so quickly that he ran into a ditch.
    That's crazy! It's not like you were on the side of the road with the Swedish Bikini Team!

I can just picture someone on the forum in Sweden asking, "We have a Bikini Team?".

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post

I can just picture someone on the forum in Sweden asking, "We have a Bikini Team?".
    Wicked!

Dave Karp

Years ago, MPEX had a 4x5 Tachi with double extension. I don't remember what the length of the extension was. I thought about buying it, but decided to wait until I found a used Walker Titan SF, which I eventually did. Jim told me that they were rare.

There was one on the auction site advertised as rare of course every piece of LF gear on there seems to be rare but anyway there was one shot of it racked out fully the bellows quet a bit longer than 12. Hard to tell from pictures though but it was the cherry and chrome one.

Very beatutiful functional machines. We had a couple Cherry/Brass models we lent to students. I wish the students' awe these cameras elicited when I first brought them out would have extended into the students' use of them.

Not a great choice for a constant exposure to first-time users...the brass hardware could not take the abuse (especially those little cute knobs on the front standard). Some split wood, crunched bellows, broken GG, mysteriouly bent lens hoods, snapped off cable release hardware on the shutters and so forth. Our Horseman Woodman 4x5's lasted longer --- being just a little simpler in unfolding and folding, and having sturdier simple hardware.

And students could lose knobs and screws so fast...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China