Thread: Disassembly of B&J 8x10 front standard

Disassembly of B&J 8x10 front standard

Read the work by Kevin Bourque and tried to contact him but it seems that his email no longer works and this is probably of interest to a few others so...

I want to clean and fix a B&J 8x10 and I have a problem with disassembling the front standard : The 2 knobs to lock the "rise movement" are turning the threaded studs inside the frame, therefore preventing me from locking the front rise in place. I see 2 small holes across the front frame and am guessing that those used to have some kind of looking pins in order to anchor the stud in the frame to prevent them from turning.

How can disassemble the from standard ? Can this be done without removing those studs ? How can I extract the studs ? Can this be done while the frame is inside the front standard or will stud removal only become possible when the front standard is already disassembled ?

If I was changing the bellow, I suppose it could be possible to twist the frame out of the front standard (but I am afraid this could simply break the front standard). Anyway, with the bellow attached,that is probably not an option.

Looking forward to any experience.

Thanks,
    Pierre Leduc
    Following link is just a recent sample, pending presentable Large Format production...
    HTML Code:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/132200218@N02/

Re: Disassembly of B&J 8x10 front standard

Is it a wooden camera?
    Thread killer.

It is.
    Pierre Leduc
    Following link is just a recent sample, pending presentable Large Format production...
    HTML Code:

I have a wooden 8x10. I don't see and "cross pins" to secure the studs. Mine has a stud on each side. The locking mechanism is a free knurled nut that clamps against the front standard. At the end of the stud is a philips screw that holds a small flange to prevent the nut from un-threading all the way. I can't remove the stud by hand and don't see anything on the inside of the lens frame to indicate the stud goes all the way through.

I would remove the bellows from the back of the frame, remove the nuts from the stud, turn the frame so that it points up instead of forward, rotate the frame within the standard.Hopefully the slots in the standard are long enough for a stud to clear.

If you are able to get the frame out of the standard you may be able to see how the studs are secured in the frame.

Are the nuts free to turn on the threads? Will they still tighten against the front standard but not prevent the frame from tilting? There may be a shoulder on the stud that squeezes the front standard upright between the nut.

I'd have to take mine apart to be certain.
    Thread killer.

On the Burke and James, bellow is glued and therefore not removable without destroying it. It seems there is not enough clearance in the front standard for the frame to be "twisted" out even if I could put it perpendicular to the standard. I can see part of the stud closer to the frame is knurled. Seems like there is no choice but to simply, if forcefully, extract the stud with a nut and an assortment of washers. I think I see traces of epoxy glue on a friction washer between the frame and standard (each side). Believe someone must have removed the studs and pressed them back in epoxy without ever putting the locking pins back. That obviously did not work. Thanks for the help ! Experience here relates to a Burke and James : Please don't take yours apart !!!
    Pierre Leduc
    HTML Code: