Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 96" x 144" or 8' x 12' !!! Yes folks ! One of the largest cameras ever made !

I live in Connecticut now.

Re: 96" x 144" or 8' x 12' !!! Yes folks ! One of the largest cameras ever made !

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    He had a vision, pursued it, and made it happen. I'm sure he is not in the least concerned with the mean spirited comments from this parish. Whether or not it has a working bail back that takes the world's largest film holder is not at all the point; at least the camera doesn't look like it was put together with a blunt hacksaw and a hammer.

This camera, in this day and age, needs to be something other than a phone which magically connects to instagram. It needs to connect to Bart Simpson, not his grandfather.

True, the whole thing could be made to work just as well in an anonymous container on the back of a truck, but people don't have their imaginations captured by journeying to a Travelodge, they go to Vegas for that. The thing is a symbol of what's going on inside, and what's going on inside is photography. I suppose it's bound to attract the jealousy of those who use little cameras, it's only human nature, after all. It's the attitude of those who can't see the point of going larger than medium format, or those who think that their full frame digital is better than 8x10. What gives them the right to put bounds on the imagination of others?

So what if he's a barker. Ignore him, or worse, disparage him with images of begging bowls. This is a project that would never be funded by venture capitalists, so another way is necessary. Throughout history, grand projects have sparked the enthusiasm of those who have the resources to make them happen, and the only thing that makes this project different is that those people are now crowds rather than individuals. Better to have your project funded by a crowd with an imagination, than be kicked by a crowd for deviating from the sacred texts.

I hope someday to be able to see the pictures produced by it, so I can make my own mind up as to whether it was worth it. I wouldn't want to come across as someone so obviously prejudicial...
    +1

Re: 96" x 144" or 8' x 12' !!! Yes folks ! One of the largest cameras ever made !

I look forward to his portraits of the Amish.

It was reported he had very large prints displayed outdoors in Chicago.

I have seen a lot of his huge portraits as captured by news media and shown on TV.

I just did not see them in person...and I still think it is ugly, not the portraits, the camera.
    sin eater

The prints and negatives look humongously big -paper negatives? What paper is made available in the sizes printed there?

I wonder if he will loan it to me for the iceroad season next year.
    Although I don't know if I want to try setting it up and focusing when it's -50 out.

Liquid, the monster cam doesn't function. It is a dummy that contains a room camera. Watch the video on Manarchy's site and you'll have a better idea of what it is.

If the man had been serious he'd have gone a-shooting with a modest 16 x 20 camera.