Thread: New old guy

New old guy

OK, I admit I've been lurking here for a few years but just reading and never contributing. I've recently been called out on that, so I figured I'd start here.

I always hate these "introduce yourself" things because I never know what anyone gives a hoot about, but here's probably more than you want to know.

I've lived in Fairbanks, Alaska for about 30 years and I get really tired of photos of moose, mountains, and northern lights, although I have shot all three from time to time. I developed my first sheet of 5x7 tri-x in 1975 under my uncle's tutelage, and have shot large format on and off ever since. I consider myself to be well indoctrinated, but not necessarily very experienced, in the large format arena. I know a fair amount and I can make technically competent images, but I have a lot of the gaps that come from being self-taught, or taught by people who were self-taught and, since I'm aware of that, I'm pretty open to advice, constructive criticism, and corrections of my gap-ridden opinions.

I learned wedding photography on medium format film in the mid-1980s under a mentor that I later learned was not very good at what he did. I've dabbled in fine art photography (landscapes and nudes) and had a few locally-successful shows. For the last 14 years I've operated a portrait studio (profitable for 12 of those years) specializing in intimate portraiture. I'm closing my studio this month for a variety of reasons, but mostly because I'm ready to start spending my time shooting what I want instead of what the client wants.

Besides a lot of 35mm, medium format, and digital work, I've owned and used Toyo cameras in 4x5 and 5x7, B&J cameras in 4x5 and 5x7, and Sinar cameras in 5x7 and 8x10, and I was fortunate to be allowed to shoot a few sheets with a Chamonix 11x14 once in return for taking a vacationing photographer to one of my secret fishing spots. With the closing of my studio, I've sold much of my studio-oriented equipment to shift toward field-oriented equipment. I have a B&J 5x7 field camera, and there are a Svedovsky 8x10 and a Wanderlust Travelwide in the mail headed my way. I have a small in-home darkroom that I'm in the process of expanding, and I do mostly silver contact prints, liquid emulsion, cyanotypes, and salted paper prints, plus digital prints from scanned negatives.

I guess all else there is to tell is that the only thing I'll put down a camera for is to pick up a fishing pole, so some here might not consider me a dedicated photographer, but I'll bet I have more fish in my freezer than they do.

Later. -Tim

Re: New old guy

Welcome aboard, Tim!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hi Tim.

Sounds like a fine retirement and fish taste way better than prints...

The best fish I ever caught, cleaned and cooked immediately on the beach, was when I was about 7, I still dream of that fish.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Sounds like a fine retirement and fish taste way better than prints...

The best fish I ever caught, cleaned and cooked immediately on the beach, was when I was about 7, I still dream of that fish.
    They say there is Walleye in Lake Michigan. That's good eatin!

Welcome to the forum, Tim! Just send us all some fresh caught Salmon and you will fit right in!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    They say there is Walleye in Lake Michigan. That's good eatin!
    I recall my young years eating Walleye: great flavor but a jillion fine bones to be wary of.