Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 35mm sprocket hole photography with LF camera

Re: 35mm sprocket hole photography with LF camera

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    Wow, $800 for that holder? I would love to use one, but not at that price!
    It would be more practical to get an SLR adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    It would be more practical to get an SLR adapter.
    Not if you want to use a wide angle focal length for 35mm. In fact, you probably wouldn't be able to get a normal focal length 35mm format lens to focus to infinity. Even with a recessed board and a wide angle bellows.

A guy showed me how he was using 35mm strips in old, folder roll film cameras, (and laughed about film flatness issues,) was getting a sharpish center area and progressively OOF towards the exposed sprocket areas, due to film curling... Although, this goes against ALL of my instincts, he was getting interesting special effect results...

I put it in my "never say never" file...

Steve K

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Not if you want to use a wide angle focal length for 35mm. In fact, you probably wouldn't be able to get a normal focal length 35mm format lens to focus to infinity. Even with a recessed board and a wide angle bellows.
    We are talking about using a 35mm format back on LF.

Here is my first sprocket hole portrait. Taken using a Dallmeyer 3B with an 11x14 studio camera sporting a 4x5 back, using 35mm to 120 rollfilm adapters in a 6x7 roll film back. The film was very old and poorly stored crap developed standing for two hours in 1/100 rodinal. This is a scan of a 4x10 print made made in my closet with a 4x5 Graflarger. When I was laying it out I liked the part of the previous image (the cat) on the roll visible at the top, so left that in. Had I cut that out the printed format would have been about 3 1/2 by 6 1/2 inches.

Through Rose-tinted Glasses
    View from Sausalito on San Francisco.

Taken with Graflex Super Graphic and Optar 203mm f/7.5 lens.
    Kodak Ektar 100 film in 6x9 roll film holder with 135 film adapter.
    Cokin A171 Varicolor Red/Blue polarizer.
    Scan from the negative without any digital color manipulation (except setting white balance to get the clouds neutral).

Quote Originally Posted by mjork View Post
    Through Rose-tinted Glasses
    View from Sausalito on San Francisco.

Taken with Graflex Super Graphic and Optar 203mm f/7.5 lens.
    Kodak Ektar 100 film in 6x9 roll film holder with 135 film adapter.
    Cokin A171 Varicolor Red/Blue polarizer.
    Scan from the negative without any digital color manipulation (except setting white balance to get the clouds neutral).
    Can you explain what a "red/blue polarizer" does? I mean I see the color in the image but can you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Can you explain what a "red/blue polarizer" does? I mean I see the color in the image but can you elaborate?
    Good question. I have found very little information on these filters and this is the first time I have used one. The following is my understanding so far.
    There are single color polarizing filters available ("Polacolor" red, blue or yellow). With a regular polarizer, the light that is polarized in a certain direction gets filtered out. With these colored polarizers, this light instead gets changed to the color of the filter. So when you have a light reflection off some object and you turn the filter a certain way, this reflection is now turned into the filter color. As a side effect, the filter also creates a slight overall color cast in the picture that needs to be corrected later.
    I believe this red/blue polarizer is just a red and a blue polarizer mounted together at a (presumably 90 degree) offset. So depending on how you turn the filter, light polarized in one direction turns red and light polarized a different direction turns blue. And on top of this you also get an overall color cast. It's kind of difficult to predict what the filter is going to do and there is probably very limited use for these things.

One more from the same roll of film. Again with the Red/Blue polarizer, but a more subtle effect this time.