Hello everyone. New user here on the forums as I'm about to move into 5x4 film photography, and need a bit of advice before I do.

I am in the UK and have found a good shop with a knowledgeable proprietor, and good prices.

For sale is a MPP field camera, complete with a lens "showing signs of fungus". My plan is to remove that lens, and replace it with a lens not showing sign of fungus.

The camera apparently shows no signs of fungus, but my question to you guys is this: if the camera has been stored with a lens showing signs of fungus, is that camera a risk to clean lenses, even if it is not currently showing signs of a fungus invasion?

I do not want to take a stupid risk and ruin a bunch of lenses, but nor do I want to miss an absolute bargain if I'm over-worrying on the issue.

I plan to use a clear plastic box for storage, stored in a bedroom that is kept heated, and place silica gel in the box as a precaution. That aside, being a field camera, it will be used outside and outside in this country is often not so dry.

Your thoughts would be appreciated, especially since I really need to conclude the deal in the morning if I possibly can.