Thread: Risk of fungus

Risk of fungus

Hello everyone. New user here on the forums as I'm about to move into 5x4 film photography, and need a bit of advice before I do.

I am in the UK and have found a good shop with a knowledgeable proprietor, and good prices.

For sale is a MPP field camera, complete with a lens "showing signs of fungus". My plan is to remove that lens, and replace it with a lens not showing sign of fungus.

The camera apparently shows no signs of fungus, but my question to you guys is this: if the camera has been stored with a lens showing signs of fungus, is that camera a risk to clean lenses, even if it is not currently showing signs of a fungus invasion?

I do not want to take a stupid risk and ruin a bunch of lenses, but nor do I want to miss an absolute bargain if I'm over-worrying on the issue.

I plan to use a clear plastic box for storage, stored in a bedroom that is kept heated, and place silica gel in the box as a precaution. That aside, being a field camera, it will be used outside and outside in this country is often not so dry.

Your thoughts would be appreciated, especially since I really need to conclude the deal in the morning if I possibly can.

Re: Risk of fungus

I am not familiar with your climate, but the fungus in the lens is not likely to infect the camera body.
    When I lived in a more humid climate I kept each of my lenses in small plastic boxes so there was never any danger of fungus passing from one to the other while stored..

I would give a detailed clean and 1 week of un-direct sunbath to the body as well, and advice for never storing the lens attached to the camera as well, it's more easy to have a controlled temp and humidity box for a bunch of lenses then for a bunch of camera + lenses.

Jim Noel: I was hoping someone might say that!

RSalles: I plan to give it a clean. I'm currently researching anti-fungal liquids. Having said that, it looks pristine judging by the photos.

If the camera looks fine then don't worry about it. Just don't store your camera or lenses in your English Castle's dark, dank dungeon!