Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting attacked

45-57-617

Getting attacked

Mornin' !

I have been outproving my new-found knowledge recently and have been trying to do a series on 'Bark' in my local neighbourhood.

One of the trees turned out to have a hive about 6 ft from the camera position. I got a bee sting to the ear whilst under the darkcloth.

Another tree must've had a bird's nest nearby because I got swooped by a crazy bird.

Sheesh ! Talk about upsetting my rhythm !

What other stories can be told ?

Given this, I might not head north to the crocodiles ...

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Re: Getting attacked

I had a run in with a black bear one time while up in the mountains, he stood up on hind legs and everything, I didn't move and he didn't either we just kind of looked at each other I did have my 45 with me but thank goodness I didn't have to use it, after what seemed like forever he went back down on all fours and went up into the woods, later I found out that young male bears are like that, they feel thay have something to prove, a couple of years before that a woman her baby and little girl was attacked not far from where I was on the trail, the little girl took off running and the bear chased her and killed her, the forest service quickly got the bear and put him down. Now there are signs posted everywhere about "If you see a bear......"
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Drew Wiley

Bees. My Grandmother had a sizable plot of old growth rainforest on the Oregon Coast, where the wild honeybees could form swarms so big they would block the sun out, like a big dark cloud overhead. One swarm totally honeycombed a row of wild blackberries about twenty feet long in only two days - that was a huge hive! So we kids would walk down there and look at it. Then my brat cousin picked up a rock and flung it into that hive. A monstrous dark cloud of bees rose up. We were doomed. But a few yards away there was a pond the opposite direction, which had a mink in it, but also cattails along the shore. So we quickly broke off little section of cattail reed to use as breathing tubes while we swam underwater across the pond. Later that summer I fell into a hive of yellowjackets crossing a rottenlog. But twenty of so stings on the face are one thing. Twenty thousand would have been a different situation!

Fire ants!

Drew Wiley

Gosh. I had a bad case of shingles this past Spring. That's like wearing fire ants. I eventually got stir crazy and had to get out, so padded the heck out of my big
    8x10 pack and walked slowwwww. No "doing the twist" movements! Got one nice shot and about a mile back and forth walk on a relatively level trail. But them
    dern fire ants were bitin' me the whole time.

Asian Lady beetles! Those are the ones that bite. Last year I stepped into a field and once set up I was swarmed! Very unpleasant, and when I got back into the truck there were some inside the camera bag. I'd rather encounter black bears. Seriously, our black bears are less threatening here than farm dogs.

damn cool stories

most of the bears here are non threatening as well, BUT on up in the smokeys when they have problem bears they bring them here and turn them loose. the problem bears are the ones that are in the parks and people feed them and they become a nuisance, if that bear that I met would have charged at me like thought he was going to do his ass would have been a throw rug, he kept looking at me, I would glance at him and then kind of turn my head trying not to make eye contact to much, he eventually went away

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    [...] if that bear that I met would have charged at me like thought he was going to do his ass would have been a throw rug
    Another guy who photographs with a 458 Magnum?

Drew Wiley

Biting ladybugs? Never heard of that one. I have walked into the woods where our spotted Calif ladybugs winter swarm up to several inches deep, sometimes a
    hundred or so yards long, over and under autumn foliage. Took an 8x10 closeup of that swarm once, but obviously had to be darn careful where I placed my feet
    or tripod. A single misstep would crush a couple hundred of them. The size and numbers of that particular winter swarm has conspicuously diminished in recent
    years, as most such gathering or purported to be. The entomologists are blaming widespread pesticide use as well as more and more natural foliage being cleared for monoculture crops. But since aphids etc are getting resistant to the pesticides, there's quite a trend is minimizing their use and bringing in mass-raised spotted ladybugs themselves. They're beetles of course, but the term ladybug is the colloquial convention.