Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help With E6 film??

Help With E6 film??

Hi, I am having some problems processing 5x4 slide film. I am not attempting doing it myself, that would be ridiculous! No, I am using a lab to do that. The problem I am having is that my slides are suddenly coming back underexposed, by a huge amount, I would say 2 or 3 stops, and due to the low latitude for error with slide film, they are useless! I have done multiple tests, serviced my lens, even measured the time of its exposure using audio recording software (I am using a fairly slow and thus a readable shutter speed is possible). I dont know what else to do other than do more testing using black and white film, and comparing it to my other lens.

The question I would like to know is could the lab be messing them up somehow? I have not had any problems with them in the past, and my slides have always come back as I expected. I had though that with colour processing there is not a lot you could mess up, development times are the same for all films, as opposed to B/W film. If they did mess up would the slides come back underexposed, or would they not come back atoll?

If you can answer this then thank you, but I expect I will have to spend more money testing lenses! Thanks!

Re: Help With E6 film??

Possible things to consider... film reciprocity adjustment, bellows extension, filters.

I had a similar experience & learned my copal shutter needs to be repaired/ replaced.

Drew Wiley

A process of elimination. Not likely the lab, though you could simply try a different one. An E6 error would have a significant color reproduction issue. Double-check your meter and metering technique. Test your shutter speeds. And as strange as it seems, is you film loaded in the holder with the emulsion facing forward? Backwards film results in a lot of extra density from the
    film base and antihalation coating itself, and often a color shift due to the latter.

Start by sending off a roll of 35mm or 120 slide film exposed correctly in a known to be good camera system to the same lab and see if they come back alright. That should eliminate a persistent problem with the lab, although not an intermittent or one-time failure. Also try exposing some knowm to be good b&w film in your 5x4 system with the same settings and develop along proven methods at home (assuming you have done a fair bit of development yourself) and see if they come out alright. I'd take it from there and then do the rest of the elimination stuff mentioned above.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

What Drew said!

I'd compare with bw film equally exposed and double check the shutters.
    Had the same issue since two years, tried everything to no avail...no matter if slides were fresh or expired, lab A or lab Z, provia or velvia, 90mm or 210mm, they came out almost black while bw shots were ok. Sadly I had to stop shooting color one year ago for this and I am still too scared to start again. Hope you will do better, keep us posted.

Had lens serviced, meter works at all other times, also did digital tests to be meter wasnt drastically off, flim loaded into holder the correct way!

Hmm, I suppose a b/w test comparing shutter speeds of the lens, would be the best option, as I am experienced with that and can process that at my college. The only thing is the lab definitely messed up some b/w stuff, and the last 5x4 batch I got back had a cloud on them so I had to take them back and get them re-bleached!

Yes, handing in some film shot on my Hasselblad should rule out any lab errors.

Thanks for the advice!

What lens do you have? It's possible it was re-mounted in a non-original shutter and the f-stop scale is incorrect.

It is a Linhof Shnieider. I looks pretty intact... The shutter speeds are the older type, as in 50th rather than 60th, 25th instead of 30th ect. I have re-metered for that though..

I would try some B&W like others have suggested plus like also suggested send a roll to the same lab from a camera that you know is good. Plus send another roll from the same camera to another lab and compare the results.

It could be a lab issue without them even knowing they have a problem
    Even if the lab changes their chemistry regularly just a sensor issue in their machine could have the chemistry too hot or cold which could effect development.