Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: survey digital vs traditional darkroom

Re: survey digital vs traditional darkroom

I've gotten a "bug up you know where" and have begun shooting more film in 120/220, 4x5, and recently 8x10. Now I'm starting a project to begin contact printing the 8x10 negs in a variety of print emulsions... gum, cyanotype, Argyrotype (like Van Dyke for those tilting your heads) and maybe even silver, with heavy toning. So my darkroom work has jumped to roughly 50-60% for film processing (versus capture), but printing was still all digital until this last redirection.

I have a small frozen storehouse of paper that mocks me every time I open the freezer door. I can't take the taunting anymore.

Two years ago it was digital only to create the digital negatives and web site content. The rest was traditional darkroom work with alternative processes. At that time I would have the effort placed at 80% traditional, 20% digital.

With my Labyrinth Project I have been 100% digital. I will be starting a new project in a week or two which will be back to the more traditional and less digital. But, who knows?

Two years ago it was digital only to create the digital negatives and web site content. The rest was traditional darkroom work with alternative processes. At that time I would have the effort placed at 80% traditional, 20% digital.

With my Labyrinth Project I have been 100% digital. I will be starting a new project in a week or two which will be back to the more traditional and less digital. But, who knows?

It sure is easy to get nice looking prints out of an epson printer.

Eric Biggerstaff

100% traditional
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Need anyone ask what type I do?

100% wet darkroom for photographs. Digital for snapshots.

Photography is a hobby for me and I want the best output I can get. I have run tests and you simply can not get as much information to paper with digital processes.

Because most comercial color printing is going to 300dpi which translates to about 6 lp/mm I am transitioning from 4x5 color and black and white to 8x10 black and white contact prints. (Just about the time I had my 4x5 set up where I wanted it after about 10 years of watching Ebay.)

Note: I hold 10 US patents spaning both mechanical and electrical so I am not a ludite. On the contrary, I think I understand the limitations of digital better than most which is why I am still with film.

Beyond that as a matter of taste, I just don't like digital printing especially the off axis look to ink jet.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Shields View Post
    Note: I hold 10 US patents spaning both mechanical and electrical so I am not a ludite. On the contrary, I think I understand the limitations of digital better than most which is why I am still with film.
    Neal, it is neither their education nor their preference that makes certain people luddites, it is their active opposition to a particular technology. Choice is good, and the choices we have are great because they are not mutually exclusive. Technology, on the other hand, is neither good nor bad, it just is. What we do with it, or not, can be good or bad, but depends very little on technology and quite a lot on us.

Photography is a hobby for me too, and I want to enjoy it, feel good while I'm doing it and simply have fun. I am doing both digital and film and enjoying both, since they each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Anything done for business purposes, which is primarily destined for the web is digital.

For my personal stuff, it's all traditional darkroom. Count me in with the crowd that spends all day on a computer. It's hard to get fired up to spend more hours in front of it when I have leisure time. Plus, it's like starting over in a lot of ways. The photoshop curve is pretty steep for me. As long as I can get the materials that I want, and the results that I want, I will probably keep plugging away in the dark.

100% Digital - and I never thought I would be saying this! I haven't had a darkroom for a few years. I was never happy with digital b&w until Museo Silver Rag came out. Now with a good scan I feel I can make a better print digitally than I used to make in the darkroom. But its been quite the learning curve...

Two years ago, I had only a temporary darkroom so monochrome printing was pretty much on hold. At that point, I shot mostly colour and I did try to scan and print on my own. After a lot of frustration, including plowing through manuals the size of phonebooks, I simply gave up, bit the bullet, and got a darkroom built. Now I do almost exclusively monochrome in a traditional wet darkroom. If I am in a big rush, I sometimes scan the negs to take a quick peek at what might be required when I print. I also use the scanner to select what colour pos or neg I want to get drum scanned and printed at a professional lab. When my scanner dies, I will not get a new one.

In my opinion, nothing beats digital technology when it comes to sucking the joy out of a craft. I find the digital workflow to be boring and expensive, but I accept that if I were a commercial photogapher, I would shoot only digital.