Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a Sinar F for landscape photography, anyone doing it?

Using a Sinar F for landscape photography, anyone doing it?

I have a Sinar C with a battered front standard, although the rear P standard is great for movements it sure does add heft to the package. I was thinking of either investing in a field camera (more $$$) or buying a Sinar F1/2 which cost less and with a bag bellows will facilitate more movement. I currently shoot mostly portraits and am interested in doing more landscapes.

Anyone using a Sinar F for landscapes and how do you find it?

thanks

Re: Using a Sinar F for landscape photography, anyone doing it?

Yes, I do. I use an F for 4x5 and a Norma for 8x10. The F is nicely portable for a monorail and folds into a backpack of sufficient height if needed. Setting up probably takes a bit more time that a true field camera, but since I'm not used to that luxury it's not an issue for me. The movements on the F are less precise than on a P or a Norma; I have no experience with the F2, but I understand it's an improvement over the F. Nonetheless, when you get used to it, it's a workable setup and allows fro sufficient precision if you use a loupe and if you stop down a bit (which you're likely to do anyway in landscape work). All considered, I think a Sinar F is perfectly suited for landscape work and offers all the flexibility of a monorail system with only a little more bulk than a field camera.

Get a Sinar F2 or a Sinar A/Alpina for the ultimate in portability while still remaining compatible with the Sinar system.

I have an F (with upgraded front standard), it's great for landscape work and the movements are huge compared to a wooden folding field camera. But, it does weigh in - roughly 2x as much compared to a small wood folder like a Tachihara, Wista, Nagaoka, etc. type of 4x5. So I find myself using my Nagaoka more often, even though it has far fewer movements.

A Sinar A or Alpina is the lightest weight camera Sinar made. They use the same lens boards and bellows, but a different monorail compared to the rest of the Sinar system.. If I could do it again, I would get one of those.
    -Adam

I use a P2 8x10 for landscape as long as the path is smooth enough for my Sherpa cart.
    Thread killer.

Drew Wiley

The F2 is going to be more reliable than an F1 or even older F+, though the legs of the front and rear standards are quite a bit longer than they really need to be. I've had decades of experience with them under all kinds of outdoor conditions, including thousands of miles of mtn foot travel. But my idea of the cat's meow for
    an outdoor monorail is the previous Sinar Norma series. Only about one lb heavier than a comparably equipped F2, but more rigid; and if you can find one with the original tapered bellows still in good condition, it's a lot more versatile than the later box-style bellows. No yaw-free feature, but that's almost never an issue in
    landscape photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    . . . But my idea of the cat's meow for an outdoor monorail is the previous Sinar Norma series. Only about one lb heavier than a comparably equipped F2, but more rigid; and if you can find one with the original tapered bellows still in good condition, it's a lot more versatile than the later box-style bellows. No yaw-free feature, but that's almost never an issue in landscape photography.
    The Sinar Norma is a really nice camera. I overlooked these and settled on a different make. It wasn't until a friend bought one of these recently, that I realized how excellent they are.

I used an F2 for years on the job and now shoot with an old Norma for myself. If I was going to use an F/F2 in the field I'd use a Norma rail clamp, it is noticeably more compact than the big F style one. A small but important difference!

You may want to look at some of the metal field cameras like the Toyo 45a or the Wista 45D. They seem to be selling in the $500-range on eBay, about the same as Sinar and Norma... They are heavier than a wooden camera, but fold down compactly. Many swear by them. For me, lightweight wood cameras are my choice for field work, both in the city and for landscapes. Yes, they cost more, but I was really happy to step up to one and not have to carry my Graphic View for field work. That was years ago, and I've only rarely carried a monorail in the field since then.

FWIW, I own a Sinar Alpina. It is indeed light and easy to carry in its carrying case. It's just bulkier than a 4x5 wood field camera, so it gets used a lot less in the field than my Wista.

Best,

Doremus

Dimento,

My F2 is my only LF camera, that's what I have to photo graph everything in 4x5. I suppose I would benefit a lot more with a real field camera by its folding and weight capabilities, but that's what I have for the moment, a moment where setting up my photo lab is the priority on top.
    Last end of the year I had the chance to acquire a field camera for a good money, but opted to buy a Sinar Copal shutter instead for almost the same amount, to have the possibility to fit some barrel lenses I have on the F2.
    Some Wista cameras uses the same lens boards sizes as the Sinar, probably I'll go for it for this reason, interchangeability ( a very long word which spares long walks to the car to commute lens bords,

Cheers,

Renato

Drew Wiley

I actually prefer monorails in the field because they are way faster to operate than a folder (you can leave your favorite lens on), and you can operate with a
    very wide range of focal lengths just by adding or subtracting rail sections. They're really nice for very long focal lengths. If something wears out, you can simply acquire a replacement component (quite easy to do with the Sinar system), or reconfigure them as needed from studio to field applications. Monorails (again, esp Sinar) are also quite easy to balance of a tripod since the bellows etc can be centered and not all forward like a folder. But they do tend to be more bulky to pack, so I'll also use 4x5 as well as 8x10 folders as well, when they are more realistic.