Thread: Epson V700 profile for prove 100F (vuescan)

Epson V700 profile for prove 100F (vuescan)

Hello all,

Normally, I tend to shoot other emulsions, but recently someone offered me a huge (expired) batch of prove 100F from a freezer. Given the price, I could not resist and I am now he lucky owner of a huge pile of the stuff. Test shot a box last weekend, which I developed yesterday. The slides come out crisp and clean, which is great!

Not so great is the ever ongoing struggle with color profiles for negatives and slide film. Though slide is easier to scan (for me) than color reversal film, the colours are still way off. In most cases this can be fixed in post with adobe, but it takes a lot of time. Is there anyone on here who uses the combination mentioned in the subject line who would care to share settings that work for him or her? These can be settings in vuescan, icc profiles, whatever you have that works.

Thank you!

Re: Epson V700 profile for prove 100F (vuescan)

I don't have a v700, but I do use VueScan. My scanner (Microtek ArtixScan 1800F) included a calibration target, so I created an .icc profile.

In addition, I usually have "Color balance" set to 'White Balance' or sometimes to 'Auto Levels'.
    I export to .TIFF format and include "TIFF profile". Additional post processing is in Lightroom.

Preston Birdwell

I use VueScan, too, and I have an 1800F, same as Paul. I also used the included target and used VueScan Pro to create the profile. It's not perfect, but it gets me close.

Since you have a big batch of Provia, obtaining a target transparency and the IT8 data to go along with it will be a boon in the long run.

Here's a source I've heard good things about, and the price is pretty reasonable: ColorAide.de.

VueScan Tip: On the 'Color' tab, set the Color Balance to Manual. Position your cursor over a spot that should be neutral grey. Without moving the cursor, Right Click. The color balance will be set automatically based upon the color you want to be neutral grey. Note: If you don't like what you see in the preview, set the RGB sliders back to one (1), and then repeat the above steps on another spot.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I will post my profile when I get home. You can see if it will work for your combination but I would imagine that you want a IT8 target and calibrate yourself for best results. I bought mine from ColorAide.de as Preston pointed out and the service was fantastic.

BTW, here is link to a post I made on this forum about my calibration experience.

The most important thing to note is the scanning process you will have to follow to make sure your scans are consistent with how my profile was created.

Pali

Preston Birdwell

Pali, remember that there are two files that need to posted, or sent to the OP:

1. The ICC Profile (*.icc)
    2. The IT8 or Q60 (*.it8 or *.Q60)

I simply installed my ICC and Q60 files in C:\Program Files\VueScan, but you can put them wherever you want. After doing that, I went to the Color tab in VueScan and set 'Scanner color space:' to ICC Profile and then pointed 'Scanner ICC profile:' and 'Scanner IT8 data:' to the location of the respective files. Voila!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Pali, remember that there are two files that need to posted, or sent to the OP:

1. The ICC Profile (*.icc)
    2. The IT8 or Q60 (*.it8 or *.Q60)

I simply installed my ICC and Q60 files in C:\Program Files\VueScan, but you can put them wherever you want. After doing that, I went to the Color tab in VueScan and set 'Scanner color space:' to ICC Profile and then pointed 'Scanner ICC profile:' and 'Scanner IT8 data:' to the location of the respective files. Voila!

--P
    Preston,

I am pretty sure (but not 100%) that you only need the .ICC (or .ICM) profile for proper results. My understanding is that you need the IT8 file when you first create the profile and after that, it is not needed. At least that is how I had mine setup when I was still using Vuescan to color profile but I have since moved to the process that I posted a link to. In this method, calibration and profile assignment is done outside of Vuescan.

Here are the files for using the profile:
    - ICM Profile
    - IT8 Target (as reference only)
    - My RAW scan that you can test the profile with

There are more detail on the link I posted but in summary you will need to do the following to use this profile:\
    1. Scan raw image in Vuescan with color settings all off
    2. Install the .ICM profile on your computer (Double Click on Windows)
    3. Open the raw scan in PhotoShop and change profile to "IT8 Scan v700 Sep 2015"

This is what you should expect with my files:

Hope this helps.

Pali

Thanks for the pointers and suggestion. I'm familiar with the neutral grey option in vuescan. It works iffy at best though due to color-shifts. I'm considering just shooting with a neutral grey card in one of the far corners. This would theoretically make calibrating on image by image basis a breeze. It would mean losing some of the negative though, which is a shame, given the costs, efforts and time involved in cutting, shooting and developing 8x10 into 4x10 sheets. 65 for a target seems like a significant amount of money...

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    I use VueScan, too, and I have an 1800F, same as Paul. I also used the included target and used VueScan Pro to create the profile. It's not perfect, but it gets me close.

Since you have a big batch of Provia, obtaining a target transparency and the IT8 data to go along with it will be a boon in the long run.

Here's a source I've heard good things about, and the price is pretty reasonable: ColorAide.de.

VueScan Tip: On the 'Color' tab, set the Color Balance to Manual. Position your cursor over a spot that should be neutral grey. Without moving the cursor, Right Click. The color balance will be set automatically based upon the color you want to be neutral grey. Note: If you don't like what you see in the preview, set the RGB sliders back to one (1), and then repeat the above steps on another spot.

--P