Thread: Anti-newton glass film holder for Epson 2450 scanner?

Anti-newton glass film holder for Epson 2450 scanner?

I am doing some work that requires that I use an anti-newton glass film holder. Is there one that works for the Epson 2450? I followed a thread on using the holder from V500/700 (?) but apparently it had problems, so I cancelled my order. Perhaps there is a simple after-market third party AN glass film holder for 4x5?

Important: I have to be able to scan the film edge; the whole neg. Could I just get two sheets of somewhat oversize AN glass from eBay, sandwich the film in between, and shim to focus? Would both pieces of glass need to be AN? I ask that bc the emulsion is dull and wondered if only the base has Newton ring problems.

HABS-HAER specifications require that scanning be done with AN glass film holder, so consider that a given.

Wishing you great light!
    Paul
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Re: Anti-newton glass film holder for Epson 2450 scanner?

two sheets of somewhat oversize AN glass from eBay
    I bought "anti-reflection" glass from a framing shop. Not the true vacuum-coated, so-called museum glass, but the kind that has one side slightly dulled, or frosted. I use it with a BetterScanning holder (that I bought without the AN glass option). Works well for me. Costs very little.

In my case glass is above film. If glass is below, be aware that, as far as focusing is concerned, 2mm of glass counts as 3mm of air. Good luck.
    Would both pieces of glass need to be AN?
    I heard (hearsay as far as I'm concerned) that TMX/TMY films have an emulsion shiny enough to cause Newton rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard_L View Post
    I bought "anti-reflection" glass from a framing shop. Not the true vacuum-coated, so-called museum glass, but the kind that has one side slightly dulled, or frosted. I use it with a BetterScanning holder (that I bought without the AN glass option). Works well for me. Costs very little.

In my case glass is above film. If glass is below, be aware that, as far as focusing is concerned, 2mm of glass counts as 3mm of air. Good luck.

I heard (hearsay as far as I'm concerned) that TMX/TMY films have an emulsion shiny enough to cause Newton rings.
    Thanks Bernard. Trying to picture your film holder -- there is just one piece of glass, and that is above the film, pressing it against the ?plastic frame of the film holder?
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

there is just one piece of glass, and that is above the film, pressing it against the ?plastic frame of the film holder?
    Yes. So the long edges of the film rest against a ridge of the plastic frame, and the back of the film (normally convex side) is pressed down by the pseudo-AN glass. The scanner sees a mirror-flipped image, but that is easy to fix. And the ends of the film strip are free to curl slightly away from the face of the glass plate: a small piece of adhesive tape takes care of that, resulting in perfectly flat film.

But of course this does not allow to scan the rebates. The description is just to put in context the use I made of such glass. You need two pieces; And make sure only one side is "anti-reflection" treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard_L View Post
    Yes. So the long edges of the film rest against a ridge of the plastic frame, and the back of the film (normally convex side) is pressed down by the pseudo-AN glass. The scanner sees a mirror-flipped image, but that is easy to fix. And the ends of the film strip are free to curl slightly away from the face of the glass plate: a small piece of adhesive tape takes care of that, resulting in perfectly flat film.

But of course this does not allow to scan the rebates. The description is just to put in context the use I made of such glass. You need two pieces; And make sure only one side is "anti-reflection" treated.
    I believe that HABS-HAER requires that film be scanned "wrong side" and then flipped. Thanks! This could be a great solution.
    Paul
    Petroleum Oil Pics

About a decade ago a poster on this forum said he was using the anti-glare picture frame glass on his Epson scanner. I followed suit. One sheet of glass below the negative, one above with the anti-glare side facing the negative. The glass raises the negative to the focus point and holds the negative flat. I use this method for negatives from 35mm to 8x10.
    juan

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    About a decade ago a poster on this forum said he was using the anti-glare picture frame glass on his Epson scanner. I followed suit. One sheet of glass below the negative, one above with the anti-glare side facing the negative. The glass raises the negative to the focus point and holds the negative flat. I use this method for negatives from 35mm to 8x10.
    juan
    Thanks, I am getting a leftover piece of anti-glare (rather than the miroguard that I used for exhibitions) from my framer. Great idea!
    Petroleum Oil Pics

yes your local picture / glass guy...had a few cut to fit also got a 8 x 10 piece and a couple for my betterscanning meduim format holder - great for wet mounting problem film - then 6 months later bought an Imacon 949.. it blows the V700 and the coolscan 9000 out the water