Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jump To 14x17: Worthwhile?

Re: The Jump To 14x17: Worthwhile?

My first experience with a "process camera" was a lens in a wall leading to a dark room. The copy to be photographed was in the light area and the dark room had a moveable easel that would accept any number of film formats. Thus no need for any bellows or film holders. In fact I thought all process 'cameras' were like this until I saw stand-alone process cameras on the internet in the 1990s.

Randy: I bought a 14x17 film holder as you suggested and look to buy a 14x17 film back to use it on my Argyle 18 process camera. Let me know how you do yours this time. Thanks, David

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...process-camera

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    14X17 cameras?

As I have 14X17 film holders I am considering restarting my 14x17 project

I think only one of these members remain active

My goal is not a field camera, but a portrait studio camera, that can handle my new lenses

Conversion of my Levy copy camera probably the easier path

My 2013 post is here

Since then I put a Calumet C1 8X10 back on it for testing lenses, but that is way too small and the front lens board is also too small, I converted it to Sinar size, which CAN be made to work, but I worry about tiny screws being over whelmed with huge lenses, I will need to make things bigger

The good part about the Levy is the front standard is very very strong with great bellows

I have plenty of X-Ray film to use

I can barely lift it a few feet...

Earlier this year I took a Carbon Transfer class with Jim Fitzgearld. He has a 14X17 and I fell in love with the format for many of the reasons you stated. I ordered one from Richard Ritter and hope to have it in the next month or two. Looking forward to getting it and putting it thru the paces.

Yes David I will let you know

Spent today trying lenses on the Levy Camera focusing them at 18" and 30 ft, almost max possible in studio, meaning the camera is in the kitchen looking at the living room wall, I can get 35' with more work, about the same as last studio in Chicago, my shed gives me 40' inside, the trailer infinity

Levy has only 35" of bellows, too short for my Petzval Portrait plans, I tried a 18" Top Hat lens extension 7 years ago, now wish I had not given it away to that fellow at our last meet up, way back then...he did want it!

I think I am just going to use this thing as it was made for

Meaning close focus magnification aka Macro greater than 1-1

Right now I have a 305 G Claron on it with a 8X10 back at 150% magnification on 8X10, but once I make a 14X17 DIY back that would be close to 1.5 to 1 Macro on 14X17. I like Macro, indoor sport

Which this all means to me, is I now have to disassemble my SC11 Deardork and move the inside Packard shutter farther back, 1/2" so my Petzval will not foul my Packard shutter, a lot of work for .5", but I will also change out the 4.5" Packard for a NOS in box, I bought some years ago

The current one sticks open and I am tired of removing the back and poking it, most of my Packard don't stick, a new one is too slick!

PTL for engrossing hobbies

Lastly David, I will be able to use the Levy to photograph people after I add flash sync

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    Randy: I bought a 14x17 film holder as you suggested and look to buy a 14x17 film back to use it on my Argyle 18 process camera. Let me know how you do yours this time. Thanks, David

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...process-camera
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce E. Rathbun View Post
    It has finally happened. My 11x14 has turned into an 8x10....or so it seems. That only took a few years. After working with the 11x14 I now crave a larger negative. The 14x17 would be as large as I would want to go. The 16x20 is a tad large and beefy for what I am looking for. So maybe the 14x17 could do the job. The lens selection that I have would carry over to the 14x17 as well. There would be the need to buy additional holders. A reducing back would still allow me to use 11x14 as I do not want to give that format up. Has anyone else made the jump from 11x14 to 14x17? If so was it worth the jump? As this is a very pricey move opinions are welcome. Horror stories or otherwise. Maybe I should just be happy and stay with the 11x14. It is a great sized negative......but so would a 14x17.

-Bruce
    I would suggest you stick to 8x10 and enlarge. I think you'll get better results. Just my 2 ç's worth. L

Great! You can make another lens extension . Look forward to seeing your 14x17 back.

[QUOTE=Tin Can;1566574]Yes David I will let you know

Spent today trying lenses on the Levy Camera focusing them at 18" and 30 ft, almost max possible in studio, meaning the camera is in the kitchen looking at the living room wall, I can get 35' with more work, about the same as last studio in Chicago, my shed gives me 40' inside, the trailer infinity

Levy has only 35" of bellows, too short for my Petzval Portrait plans, I tried a 18" Top Hat lens extension 7 years ago, now wish I had not given it away to that fellow at our last meet up, way back then...he did want it!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wellman View Post
    Earlier this year I took a Carbon Transfer class with Jim Fitzgearld. He has a 14X17 and I fell in love with the format for many of the reasons you stated. I ordered one from Richard Ritter and hope to have it in the next month or two. Looking forward to getting it and putting it thru the paces.
    Yeah, but Jim's a nut...he builds his own cameras out of walnut. Half my size, cameras twice as big. Good eye, great carbon prints. There is a different look between camera negatives and digital negatives, and each has their own influences on one's process and end results. I am pretty happy with up to an 11x14 platinum or carbon print direct from the camera-negative...but 14x17 is sweet on the wall.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

All this talk is making me want to build an 14x17 back for my 11x14.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Yes, I am a nut so thank you!! I've built nine cameras mainly for myself. Of that number four of them have been 14x17"s. One studio camera and three field cameras. My 14x17 camera is 21 pounds and is a joy to use. I sold my 11x14 to a good friend of mine because I felt the same way that Kerik does. 14x17 has more "presence" on the wall. It is much bigger than my 8x10 which is my point and shoot. I'm now using 8x10, 8x20 and 14x17. Those three formats work well for me.

14X17 Copy Camera coming up, has only 4" rise and fall, be good for Macro in 2 sizes

Very sturdy box, front and rear focus only with 34" extension now with my DIY 8X10 back

Plans are for a 6" thick back that will use a 14X17 holder that weighs 6.5 lbs, for 40" extension

1st pic is how i use it now as 8X10, I will retain that usability

The front hole is 8x10"

8X10 Levy by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Inside Levy by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

14X17 holder and 8X10 back 2 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

8x10 back and 14X17 holder by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can