Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to the eastern sierra for fall colors.

Going to the eastern sierra for fall colors.

I'm planning a trip to the Bishop area, as soon as a box of Velvia50 arrives from Japan in a few days. I'm also taking a box of Ektar100 and B&W, all in 4x5. 35 years ago I lived in Bishop for a few years and had the good fortune of working for the USFS as a truck driver, helping to repair campgrounds and parking lots and such. That made me able to drive around the various areas and check out the scenery. Based on that foggy memory of the Sierras, I'm thinking of looking up Bishop Creek to North Lake, South Lake and Sabrina for my fall colors. Rock Creek is another area I'm going to. Ansel seemed to like the Buttermilks quite a bit.

I'm trying to think of places for the sunrise shots and the sunset shots. There should be enough fall color for everyone for a few more weeks, based on the California Fall Color websites, although I might have to search around if I wait too much longer. I may stop for the Bristlecones and Alabama Hills on the way back, but color is my main objective on this trip.

I could really use some suggestions for locations that take advantage of the Happy Hours, (I mean Golden Hours), since this is my first trip there in decades.

If any of you happen to spot an old guy with a Crown Graphic up there, that might be me. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jerry.

Re: Going to the eastern sierra for fall colors.

June lake loop. Lee vining creek. Virginia creek.
    The road to bristlecones is ROUGH!

Drew Wiley

Hard to say about the bristlecones, since snow can start falling anytime now. There will already be significant fall color at Sabrina, upper Rock Cr and analogous altitudes. McGee Creek is another spot to try. A short easy mile or two walk on the trail will give you a nice view of the color upcanyon. For distant shots under
    blue sky, I'd recommend a light pink 2A skylight filter with Ektar. In shade under blue sky, you'll need something stronger, like an 81A or even 81C. Velvia is usually fine color-wise, but a relatively colorless UV filter helps with distance sharpness at high altitude. The Buttermilks will probably still be hot in the afternoon.
    The cottonwoods lower down don't generally have color until late Oct. And the June Lake area recently burned. You should have plenty to do right near Bishop anyway.

I hope to make a trip again in Nov! I know the colors will be mostly gone by then, but...

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    June lake loop. Lee vining creek. Virginia creek.
    The road to bristlecones is ROUGH!
    I recall driving a 10 yard dump truck up to near the Research Station once. Yep, it was rough, but I made it.

[QUOTE=Drew Wiley;1278860] For distant shots under
    blue sky, I'd recommend a light pink 2A skylight filter with Ektar. In shade under blue sky, you'll need something stronger, like an 81A or even 81C. Velvia is usually fine color-wise, but a relatively colorless UV filter helps with distance sharpness at high altitude.

I didn't think about filters. You know that if I'm shooting Velvia50, I'm going for the saturated colors. I'll look for some filters besides my ND and grads. Good advice.

Preston Birdwell

The road to the Patriarch Grove of the Bristlecones is very rough. However, you can park at Schulman Grove and take the loop trail. It's not a difficult hike as it mostly contours around.

Another spot near Bishop is Pine Creek Canyon past the old company town of Rovanna. There's some pretty big walls with lots of interesting geology and there are aspens near the end of the road at the old tungsten mine.

If you've never done it, head up to Mosquito Flat Trailhead in Rock Creek canyon and then hike up into Little Lakes Valley. The place is stunningly beautiful. BTW: If you do go to Rock Creek, hit the Rock Creek Resort for the best pie in the Eastern Sierra.

Have a great trip, Jerry!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Go to the Bristlecone area and let us all know if you meet Mr Technical Photo Boredom, Digilloyd.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Go to the Bristlecone area and let us all know if you meet Mr Technical Photo Boredom, Digilloyd.
    Digilloyd????

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

We will be up in that area on the 8-12 of October. So if you see some fool with a 14 x 17 say hi!