Thread: Help RE: 5x7 Glass Negative Carrier for the Beseler 57MB

Help RE: 5x7 Glass Negative Carrier for the Beseler 57MB

A total shot in the dark here--I'm looking for the original 5x7 glass negative carrier that came with the Beseler 57MB. I've never seen one in person, but according to the manual that I have for the enlarger it apparently came standard with the enlarger itself. It's supposed to be hinged on one end, and in theory it allows negatives from 35mm to 5x7 to be enlarged with it.

If you happen to have one at all, I'd be happy alone to have photos and dimensions of what it looks like, so I could have one fabricated for my enlarger.

Better yet (admittedly for me!), if you happen to have one you're willing to part with, I'd like to buy it from you!

Any help you could provide in my search for this esoteric piece of equipment would totally be appreciated. Thank you.

Eric Woodbury

Re: Help RE: 5x7 Glass Negative Carrier for the Beseler 57MB

Obscura, I'm going to guess that a 57MB is similar to a 45M, but on steroids. You can make a dandy neg carrier with a piece of picture glass (or Tru-Vu AR glass if you want fancy) for the bottom and a piece of white plexi on top (if you are using cold light or equivalent, and remove the existing diffusion glass). If condenser light source is in place, then you should probably use either no glare glass on top or anti-Newton ring glass if your feeling flush. Whatever you use, these can be hinged together with a piece of gaffer's tape.

I don't remember the numbers on the plexiglass, but there are a couple of better ones. One is made just for diffusion and you can buy on ebay. The other is supposed to be more efficient at light transmission and diffusion by trapping microscopic bubbles in the plastic and not white dye. I doubt it makes a difference. If you need more details, I have them somewhere.

Best, --ejw--
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Hi, Eric. Thank you for the information on making my own negative carrier. It looks like I might just have to do that.

The 57MB is indeed similar to a 45M. It uses the same truss framework support, though it's a little bit taller. And, it's a cold light enlarger, and as far as I have been able to gather it was so from the get-go. I don't think Beseler made a condenser version of this one.

Yes, I would totally appreciate it if you could pass along the information on the Plexiglass options that I have. Thank you!

Best,
    Charlie

Eric Woodbury

Charlie,

WHITE PLEXIGLASS ACRYLIC #2447 is the standard material. Easy to find at ebay. I've used it and works fine.

Acrylite Satinice is a new product that has good advertising. I bought some, but I've not used it yet.

When light is fully diffused with no coherence, Newton rings will not form. If you keep your existing diffusor and just add this one to your system, the only downside is less light and longer exposures. Good luck.

--ejw--
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Hi, Eric. Thank you so much for the information on the Plexiglass options that I have! I will have to give this a go then.

--Charlie

You will want optical glass for the bottom and anti-newton glass for the top, unless you are just going to be making test prints or proofs.

Eric Woodbury

Given diffusion-acrylic immediately adjacent to your negative on top, Newton's rings do not, cannot, form at this juncture, as the light has no coherence nor dominant angle of incidence (random). On the bottom, Newton's rings don't form because of the modest texture of the negative's emulsion providing sufficient separation between the negative and the glass. AR glass is nice on the bottom to reduce reflections within the glass, but at such angles of transmission, I doubt you'd see image difference between that and standard, cheap, float glass.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com