Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jumping into LF with Deardorff 14X14 Copy/Enlargement Camera & Folmer & Schwing 12X20

Re: Jumping into LF with Deardorff 14X14 Copy/Enlargement Camera & Folmer & Schwing 1

Quote Originally Posted by vssoutlet View Post
    I would think that the major military use would be enlarging - perhaps photos taken by spy planes.
    Then you should have a holder that accepts 9-1/2" x 9-1/2" negatives in your lot.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

SB Mike

Re: Jumping into LF with Deardorff 14X14 Copy/Enlargement Camera & Folmer & Schwing 1

I'm jumping in for the first time too. I have nothing on the 14x14.
    But I have lived with a f&s 12x20 for 25 years. It is a wonderful experience, requiring zen-like patience and weight lifting ability. I have used it mostly for French and California landscapes (not too far from the car), and a few long exposure experiments. I bought it on impulse from a storefront in NY, not knowing what I was getting in to. I have added a couple lenses, but nothing fancy, and still mainly use the Bausch and Lomb 20" that came with it. I only had one crappy film carrier, but I was lucky live next to a woodworker in France who made me four finely made, but very heavy ones which have worked well. Sand blasted my own ground glass, bought a replacement bellows eventually and it is in good working condition. It cracked into pieces when the tripod fell over once, but I managed to glue it back together.
    Film is the problem. I am on my last box of Ilford film bought in the annual order a year ago, but the price is getting nuts. So I am beginning to experiment with X-ray film. Can't get it full 12x20 though. For a while I was shooting Ilfachrome paper directly in the camera and getting some nice (reversed) unique color prints.
    But due to film and other options, I am afraid my love affair with this big thing is beginning to wind down.
    I did see one of these still in commercial use in Lourdes by a group photographer who stationed himself in front of the main church, and shot from a ladder top.

Mossypress, you would have to cut it down, 14x36 that is. http://www.zzmedical.com/14x36-in-fu...reen-hr-u.html

Roger

14x36 pinhole box camera.... mmm mmm mmm

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    14x36 pinhole box camera.... mmm mmm mmm
    Hey, I have a 14x36 contact print by Darren Samuelson that's awesome, great format!!! Yes it's from an in camera negative. Black foam core, pinhole, it could be light. I think Darren's camera weights about 70 lbs.

Roger

A few years ago a collectors club here in Houston met at a members home to admire his display room. Plenty of neat cameras in glass cases . . .but in the middle of the room were two massive ULF studio cameras. At this time I do not recall the exact format, but they both were similar to those described in the OP: Massive, non transportable. huge bellows extension with intermediate support frame, and long. At the time, I was working in a medical setting and had access to x-ray and MRI film in many sizes, and the automatic processing gear in the dark room. I suggested that we could make a few images together from time to time.

This was a true COLLECTOR not a photographer. The thought of actually exposing film in his cameras brought him to a mild anxiety attack and he broke out in a cold sweat. No dice. So there they sit, dominating that big room looking like the guns of Navarone.

By all means, restore and care for these cameras; no one will make anything like them ever again. But above all, figure out a way to use them; Lense/shitter, backs, film, processing etc. Heck, there may even be a way to put one onto a utility trailer or into a van or truck and go places. I can imagine backing into a scenic overlook somewhere and shooting landscapes.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Mossypress View Post
    I'm jumping in for the first time too. I have nothing on the 14x14.
    But I have lived with a f&s 12x20 for 25 years. It is a wonderful experience, requiring zen-like patience and weight lifting ability. I have used it mostly for French and California landscapes (not too far from the car), and a few long exposure experiments. I bought it on impulse from a storefront in NY, not knowing what I was getting in to. I have added a couple lenses, but nothing fancy, and still mainly use the Bausch and Lomb 20" that came with it. I only had one crappy film carrier, but I was lucky live next to a woodworker in France who made me four finely made, but very heavy ones which have worked well. Sand blasted my own ground glass, bought a replacement bellows eventually and it is in good working condition. It cracked into pieces when the tripod fell over once, but I managed to glue it back together.
    Film is the problem. I am on my last box of Ilford film bought in the annual order a year ago, but the price is getting nuts. So I am beginning to experiment with X-ray film. Can't get it full 12x20 though. For a while I was shooting Ilfachrome paper directly in the camera and getting some nice (reversed) unique color prints.
    But due to film and other options, I am afraid my love affair with this big thing is beginning to wind down.
    I did see one of these still in commercial use in Lourdes by a group photographer who stationed himself in front of the main church, and shot from a ladder top.
    A wonderful post, Mossypress! I have a 12x20 F&S and cut down x-ray film is what I'll be trying in her next.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

SB Mike

Thanks for the comments. My camera, Drew, is definitely not a collector's item. It is ding-ed up and the brass is corroded. Cameras are meant to be used!
    At 12x20 fully extended, it is an impressive thing. Inevitably, if I am at roadside, some one will stop and get curious, which is the last thing I need at that moment, as there are too many things to go wrong if I am distracted, and it seems then that they always do.
    As to film size Roger, the larger x-ray size I didn't know about. Thanks for the lead. I already bought a box of 14x17 which I will experiment with.
    Has anyone tried colloidal on acetate in this size? I just met a Mexican photographer, Patricia Lagarde (http://www.patriciacondegaleria.com/...a_Lagarde.html), who is doing wonderful colloidal work. She tells me she has gone up to 8x10. I am intrigued.

I also fell in love with a huge camera, why not, we may as well fiddle while Rome...

Deardorff 11X14 SC11 Studio camera with the absolutely necessary Bi-Post stand. I think mine is from the 50's but I always tell people it's from the Great Depression and was used to make high rez Sears Catalogs. It was designed, made and sold for that purpose from 1929.

I don't use it all the time,. but I have restored to 100% operational and plan to rearrange my studio so it's more easily used. My partner is not so helpful...

http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/s11/s11.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-11x14 Deardorff (2014_11_19 06_51_07 UTC).jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	141053
    Tin Can

SB Mike

Randy - Great shot. You could press auto body parts with that stand. Is your partner depressed?