Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 150mm/4.5 Xenar vs. Tessar

150mm/4.5 Xenar vs. Tessar

So what are people's opinion on 150mm/4.5 Xenar vs. Tessar re: image quality, image circle etc.?

Re: 150mm/4.5 Xenar vs. Tessar

Moreover, if a Xenar is asking for $160, is that too much for an equivalent condition Tessar? Thanks

"Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Thanks Ghostcount, I did some research and listed a whole bunch of background stuff, but the threads were deleted. I am looking for "user experience".

Also, someone else recommends the 150mm Grenonar, which I will look into also.

I always thought that the Xenar was a tessar type lens. So they would have pretty much identical performance with similar coatings and shutter type.

(Michael Graves?) mentions that the Xenar is newer and has larger image circle. I am looking for confirmation.

Drew Wiley

Both names were in use for such a long time that there would quite a bit of potential evolution. It's like trying to compare Ford and Chevy. You've got to get way more specific than that to make distinctions. Tessar is a style of lens design, including the Xenar, which ended up as a Schneider name for their own tessar. But
    all kinds of folks made tessars, even Fuji and Nikon.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Both names were in use for such a long time that there would quite a bit of potential evolution. It's like trying to compare Ford and Chevy. You've got to get way more specific than that to make distinctions. Tessar is a style of lens design, including the Xenar, which ended up as a Schneider name for their own tessar. But
    all kinds of folks made tessars, even Fuji and Nikon.
    Hi Drew, sorry, the original posts were more clear. From people's recommendation of a "softer lens, possibly more suitable for portraits", I went out to look for a 150mm/4.5 Xenar. One LFF offered to sell, but it turns out to be a "Tessar". I have no more info on that as to maker or model. I am walking on eggshells now, not knowing what I am allowed to say.

Anyway, so presumably there may be a lens sold as "150mm/4.5 Tessar" and my questions are as I listed in the first two posts. Thanks.

Hi Richard, this may be an interesting article for you.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/portrait-lenses/

If it's labeled "Tessar" then it's a Carl Zeiss Jena. If it's labeled "Xenar" then it's a Schneider Kreuznach. If it's labeled "Nikkor-M" then it's a Nikkor. If it's labeled Commercial Ektar then it's an Eastman Kodak. There are so many makes and models based on the Tessar formula it's impossible to list them all. But the CZJ was the first (I think).

Depending on vintage and condition, you may have gotten a good deal, or not.