Thread: Rollei Digibase c41 bleach problem

Rollei Digibase c41 bleach problem

Hi folks,

I've bought some Rollei Digibase c41 chemistry to try away from Tetenal but I'm having problems at the bleach stage with the lid blowing off the drom and expelling half the bleach in to the processor. (Jobo).

Also, there's very scant information online and confusing processing instructions. I'm a bit concerned that there are no wash steps are listed in the Rollei PDF instructions. I did find instructions on another website with a 3 min wash after the bleach stage, but there's no wash after the fixer which I'm used to doing with the Tetenal kit. I've only processed 3 ektar sheets so far. They scan fine but the negs look a bit dark to look at in daylight.

Can anyone help or does eanyone have any experience of this kit?

The steps I'm following are

2min prewash
    3m15s dev
    3m wash
    3m bleach
    4m20s fix
    1m30 stabiliser

Thanks

Re: Rollei Digibase c41 bleach problem

Can't you do the bleach step by hand? I always open the edge of the lid on my Paterson system if I feel any swelling, which is often when doing hot C41, to let out some air, and then press it down again.

Maybe you could try to run it colder, the Rollei kit has several temperature options.

I always was between bleach and fix. I'm not sure, but I think it prolongs the lifetime of the fixer. I noticed no adverse effects.

Is it the cog lid or the soft cap that's blowing off? Are you using a processor without the lift? With the lift it should be impossible for the cog lid to blow off as the gas would escape through the lift. Older Jobo caps had a small hole in the centre for this purpose.
    If the gas buildup is the cause then you could try using an acidic stop bath after developer. This should prepare the PH for the bleach and avoid further reaction.

However, my workflow (with lift) has been this:
    prewash 2 min
    dev 3:15
    bleach 5 min
    rinse ~ 1 min (not really needed but keeps the fixer cleaner)
    fix 6 min
    wash 5 x 1-2 min
    remove drum from processor
    wash with full drum 2x 2-3 min
    stabiliser (one-shot formaldehyde + wetting agent) 1-2 min
    hang to dry
    pour the stabiliser over emulsion to remove any possible particles

Quote Originally Posted by Jockos View Post
    Can't you do the bleach step by hand? I always open the edge of the lid on my Paterson system if I feel any swelling, which is often when doing hot C41, to let out some air, and then press it down again.

Maybe you could try to run it colder, the Rollei kit has several temperature options.
    Not really as I am using 250ml solution. I may try a different temp. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ndrs View Post
    Is it the cog lid or the soft cap that's blowing off? Are you using a processor without the lift? With the lift it should be impossible for the cog lid to blow off as the gas would escape through the lift. Older Jobo caps had a small hole in the centre for this purpose.
    If the gas buildup is the cause then you could try using an acidic stop bath after developer. This should prepare the PH for the bleach and avoid further reaction.

However, my workflow (with lift) has been this:
    prewash 2 min
    dev 3:15
    bleach 5 min
    rinse ~ 1 min (not really needed but keeps the fixer cleaner)
    fix 6 min
    wash 5 x 1-2 min
    remove drum from processor
    wash with full drum 2x 2-3 min
    stabiliser (one-shot formaldehyde + wetting agent) 1-2 min
    hang to dry
    pour the stabiliser over emulsion to remove any possible particles
    Thanks for your advice ndrs - really appreciate it.

It's the soft cap and it's a CPE2 Plus without the lift. I will give it a try a stop rinse.

Pretty hacked off by Rollei/Maco that they don't give clear processing instructions. It's a case of the bare minimum then figure it out yourself. They list no wash times of any kind.

I'll give your workflow a go as it's more in line with other kits I've used. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzam View Post
    Thanks for your advice ndrs - really appreciate it.

It's the soft cap and it's a CPE2 Plus without the lift. I will give it a try a stop rinse.

Pretty hacked off by Rollei/Maco that they don't give clear processing instructions. It's a case of the bare minimum then figure it out yourself. They list no wash times of any kind.

I'll give your workflow a go as it's more in line with other kits I've used. Thanks again.
    Do you have the "C41 Digibase Instruction Manual" that comes with each kit?

Unless it has been corrected since my last purchase, there is an error in that instruction, in that the stabiliser solution is listed at 2 times the concentration that it should be.
    The instruction sheet is incorrect, the ratio on the bottle is correct.
    If the instruction sheet is followed, there is a tendency for sticky droplets when the film is drying

I do 120 film in a hand tank, and at bleach, I relieve the pressure of the soft cap just before doing the first inversion.
    Also I have added a distilled rinse just before the final stabilizer rinse, to try to keep the stabilizer from getting too contaminated.
    (Another way might be to change the stab after each 4 rolls or so.)

Otherwise I follow the instructions exactly with all stages held in the bath at 37.8 C +/- about 1 C.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzam View Post
    Hi folks,

I've bought some Rollei Digibase c41 chemistry to try away from Tetenal but I'm having problems at the bleach stage with the lid blowing off the drom and expelling half the bleach in to the processor. (Jobo).

Also, there's very scant information online and confusing processing instructions. I'm a bit concerned that there are no wash steps are listed in the Rollei PDF instructions. I did find instructions on another website with a 3 min wash after the bleach stage, but there's no wash after the fixer which I'm used to doing with the Tetenal kit. I've only processed 3 ektar sheets so far. They scan fine but the negs look a bit dark to look at in daylight.

Can anyone help or does eanyone have any experience of this kit?

The steps I'm following are

2min prewash
    3m15s dev
    3m wash
    3m bleach
    4m20s fix
    1m30 stabiliser

Thanks
    Hi,

I hope people are still active on this thread?

I have just started processing my own film, decided on the Rollei Digibase. Have so far processed the equivalent of 4 1/4 rolls using these dev/bleach/fix times (1 roll 120 and 13 sheets 4x5).

What timings do people use for 5-8 and 9-12 rolls? I found dev timing info but nothing relating to the bleach or fix times. I did use Tetenals extended timings and used the same percentage of time to my stages...

Pre Wash | Dev 3.30min | Bleach 4.30min | Wash | Fix 6.30 | Stab 1m (I worked out the extended times as Tetenal looked like it increased the timings of the Blix by 1/2 stop) I have Processed a further 12 sheets 4x5 using these times, looking on a lightbox the colours look good, the proof will be when I scan them.

Was just hoping someone else might have tested timings and could share their results.

I am mostly using Portra 160, but have some Portra 400 to use, does the higher ISO exhaust the chemicals at the same rate?

Cheers,
    Rob