Thread: Jobo CPP2, Lift Refurbish, and clean

Thumbs up Jobo CPP2, Lift Refurbish, and clean

I picked up a deal on a CPP2 processor, was listed on Ebay AS IS Parts etc. I figured why not take a chance. It wasn't heating, thought I was done. Reset the Thermal switch , heard a little click, Voila heats up fine. Drum wouldn't turn tightened screw on motor main drive cog and Viola, drum rotates perfect. The unit was absolutely filthy covered with lime and crusted developer. So I take off the lift, cleanup the upper trough etc. pretty straight forward. The main drive unit was fine didn't open, leave well enough alone.

So I decide to disassemble and clean the lift. First of all these things are light, new your probably paying 125 bucks a pound for plastic. I got it all apart very carefully saving every screw etc. Cleaned the plastic parts over night in vinegar and warm water, elbow grease everything came out looking like a very well cared for 25 year old lift. There was no broken pieces, these things are really a very well designed and built device. Almost had a stroke trying to remember how to put back together. But then everything clicked, all I needed was a little new silicone to seal seams. I HIGHLY recommend taking a lot of digital photos if you take one of these things apart. If your patient and take your time it all works out OK.

I am seriously considering buying a new CPP 3, I love playing with these processors (I also have a little Duolab that I love for developing a couple rolls at a time). If these wonderful old machines go bad in the electronics side I wouldn't have a clue. I'm sure Catlabs JP has a lot of parts but you can only do so much.

When I get my new machine I will probably keep this old lift, we have bonded :-)

Mike from Iowa

Re: Jobo CPP2, Lift Refurbish, and clean

I was seriously considering buying this one for spare parts!
    Glad it found a new home. Congratulations on a successful resurrection.

I just finished rebuilding one with parts from Catlabs. Since I spend most of my days talking things apart and putting them back together, these are not to complicated (shutters on the other hand.......).
    I think every LFer should have at least one of these. GAS, yup that's me.

With these machines, you have to be a tinkerer. No getting around the fact that most of these machines are at least 20 years old. I shot a couple rolls of 120 B & W today, used my Duolab since it takes 3 liters of water rather than 20 to get up and running. I use a good old Kodak Rapid Color Processor for color printing, no tubes to wash, I can develop a 11 x 14 every 4 minutes. With Thomas safelights Its not hard to work in the dark.
    Jobo machines are great, but if all you are doing is developing black and white film, You can get by with a roller, Catlabs has a new manual roller made by Stark, pretty nice and practical.
    I've got to start shooting and printing and stop "improving my facilities" Still have a crush on the new Jobo CPP3!!

Update, I had to adjust the "chicken foot" to keep it rotating back and forth. Pulled the case I've done this before everything working great. Put too much of a side load on motor speed switch, broke, YIKES. Catlabs to the rescue, I have a new switch coming, NO getting around these things are OLD. Need to start saving for a new machine.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Update, I had to adjust the "chicken foot" to keep it rotating back and forth. Pulled the case I've done this before everything working great. Put too much of a side load on motor speed switch, broke, YIKES. Catlabs to the rescue, I have a new switch coming, NO getting around these things are OLD. Need to start saving for a new machine.
    Mike
    I figured that reversing things under a load would cause extra stress so I've been running in one direction only with no visible bad effects. I slow the speed down as far as it will go to lower the lift onto the gear, then turn it up to about the middle of the speed control dial. I've don 4x5 B&W negatives and prints up to 8x10 and everything looks great. I even did some divided pyro with no streaking or other bad effects. Make sure you test your process on something unimportant first.

Quote Originally Posted by photonsoup View Post
    I figured that reversing things under a load would cause extra stress so I've been running in one direction only with no visible bad effects. I slow the speed down as far as it will go to lower the lift onto the gear, then turn it up to about the middle of the speed control dial. I've don 4x5 B&W negatives and prints up to 8x10 and everything looks great. I even did some divided pyro with no streaking or other bad effects. Make sure you test your process on something unimportant first.
    I agree with you on the one way rotation, the only time I had bromide drag streaks was when I developed two sheets of 8x10 tri-X in a 2830 print drum in XTOL 1:1. The developer was just overwhelmed. When I use full strength XTOL I haven't had a problem. RA-4 Prints there is really no need for back and forth, I ran Cibachrome in the little Doran 8x10 tubes simple spinning around for years no trouble.

I have a little Jobo Duolab, spins in one direction, I just developed a roll of 120 tonight works great, I've used that little critter for e-6,c-41,black and white as long as you are only doing a couple rolls works fine.

If I had just slowed down when I was putting the cover back on my CPP2 I wouldn't be replacing the switch.