Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with weitwinkel aristostigmat 8cm

Help with weitwinkel aristostigmat 8cm

Hello,
    I just got it on a funny smallish board. I tried to use it on a Sinar just by holding the lens on the board in front of the Sinar board hole. I am not able to focus on objects 2 mt away. I am using wideangle bellows, and the two standards are about 2cm away.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks

Dominik

Re: Help with weitwinkel aristostigmat 8cm

The lens at infinity focus would be a distance of around 8cm between the Standards, focussing closer you would have to pull the Standards even further apart. 2cm apart is nearly 4 time infinity.

That's what I thought. Some additional space, say 1 cm, is taken by placing the board in front of the Sinar board. Still, I don't understand what's happening

Hmm. 80 mm focal length. Total extension ~ 30 mm. Minimum extension needed to focus at infinity ~ 80 mm. Extension needed to focus closer than infinity > 80 mm.

What am I missing?

Obviously, if the camera is completely compressed, it is not focused at 2m. But it is not an obstacle either, focus at 2m can be achieved by extending the bellows. My Weitwinkel Aristostigmat 8cm/f6.3 is focused at infinity with the rear lens 75mm from the ground glass, focused at 2m with a distance of 77mm. No scientific data, just a quick measure on my camera. It you can't focus the lens, there might be something wrong with it: Missing, interchanged or simply reversed elements, wrong spacing due to a wrong barrel or shutter, etc... Good luck!

By the way, my lens just illuminates 4x5" with no wiggle room.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    It you can't focus the lens, there might be something wrong with it: Missing, interchanged or simply reversed elements, wrong spacing due to a wrong barrel or shutter, etc... Good luck!
    That looks like it. I know that extension should be roughly >=80mm. The problem is that it isn't with this lens. I'll try to post some photos of the lens.

Here a couple awful photos. The rear has a thread, but the lens is actually much further down (hope it shows)

Oh, yours is a f9? Mine is a f6.3, so this might not apply. I have attached two photos: My rear lens assembly is not recessed. The overall length of my lens is 24mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ww-aristostigmat02.jpg   ww-aristostigmat01.jpg  

Dominik

If I remember correctly the WW-Aristostigmat is a symmetrical or near symmetrical lens. So you should be able to use them as convertible lenses, try to focus with only the rear group and with only the front group if there is a big difference in bellow draw the lens has probably been wrongly assembled. Good luck,

I was going to say check the two serial numbers are the same my f9 5¼" (130mm) has identical serial numbers on front and rear cells, but your rear cell appears to have no number. Mines slightly oled SN 427***.

The 80mm covers Quarter plate according to Meyer adverts.

Ian