Page 14 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Re: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Thanks for the overview Rick. And to everyone else for the other information we're sharing. As this goes on google will be sending this out to the (hopefully) masses to read and figure out options for this camera. Here's hoping it catches on beyond the LF contingent!

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post

Why do some of you put their optical viewfinders on the side? Is it because you don't want the rangefinder hanging off the side of the camera?
    Yep!

Wouldn't that be better than having the finder off center?
    The off center finder really doesn't affect view vs photo that much, especially since the purpose is to be able to use it hand held. Most of the old rangefinder 35mm cameras had their viewfinder off to one side.

Enjoy your new TW and set it up however you'd like!
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Dave Karp

Thanks Jim. Not criticizing. Just wondering. I am sure I will be doing some experimenting with accessory placement.

Thanks Jim. Not criticizing. Just wondering. I am sure I will be doing some experimenting with accessory placement.
    Didn't take your comment as criticism at all. My last comment was meant to be fun, not an order. Don't you love the internet?
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Dave Karp

:-)

I have a Leicavit finder that has a shoe on the top, so I could stack the rangefinder on top of the viewfinder. Symmetry and all that. But it doesn't go wide enough.

For the 65, I have a Sea and Sea finder for the Nikonos which leaks, making it unsuitable for same. But it's wide enough for the 65 and big enough to use as a handle.

The wire finder doesn't seem wide enough when I adjust my distance so that the front rectangle hides behind the back rectangle. That's how I would have thought it would work, and no other approach would seem accurate. I want to be able to compose with at least a bit of precision. But I haven't given quality time to the setup to really know what works--that needs daylight and the camera and I have been together only at night.

Rick "next weekend" Denney

Re: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Do you think a third party GG like a Maxwell would fit? I suppose it would have to be drilled....

I made a wooden frame the size of a film holder and mounted a ground glass in that when I made the Polaroid conversion, and that will work as a ground glass on any camera that accepts holders. I plan to use it on the Travelwide, as I will normally use a light tripod and ground glass focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by letchhausen View Post
    Do you think a third party GG like a Maxwell would fit? I suppose it would have to be drilled....
    No, definitely not, and if you ask this type question we may give you an easy DIY solution, but ask that here. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ide-4x5-camera

I wrote the DIY solution 10 minutes ago but deleted it as I felt it too obvious, perhaps you do not have the camera yet?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    I made a wooden frame the size of a film holder and mounted a ground glass in that when I made the Polaroid conversion, and that will work as a ground glass on any camera that accepts holders. I plan to use it on the Travelwide, as I will normally use a light tripod and ground glass focusing.
    Tim, just gave the answer!
    Tin Can