Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Re: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    As you might know, you have to take the springs off of the Travelwide for the Horseman to work, and use rubber bands or something similar to hold it onto the body. I tried it, but was not interested in shooting the Travelwide in that limited fashion (no ground glass, possible danger of falling off if the rubber bands broke or sagged, etc.).

The Travelwide is best used with regular 4x5 double darkslides IMO.

Now, the Mercury - I just received mine last month. I have been mostly using the 6x9 configuration as an ultralight ultrawide camera with a 38mm XL. This lens will also cover 6x12! I have confirmed that the Mercury works just fine with the Horseman 6x12 back, but haven't shot any 6x12 with it just yet. I only bought one "body" with the kit, meaning I have to take it apart to switch to the 4x5 back. This is limiting so I'll be picking up another body so that I can use either back without having to take it all apart, and will shoot some 6x12 soon. The Mercury Kickstarter orders are being fulfilled en masse right now, so you'll be able to get a body and 4x5 back pretty soon! I think there is a mailing list you can sign up for. Highly recommended - I've already probably used the Mercury more than my Travelwide since I like the ultrawide capability (with focusing to boot!).

I think you're right... the Mercury is basically everything the travelwide should've been. I'll be putting in an order as soon as possible

Thanks for the quick reply!

The Mercury Kickstarter orders are being fulfilled en masse right now, so you'll be able to get a body and 4x5 back pretty soon! for. Highly recommended - I've already probably used the Mercury more than my Travelwide since I like the ultrawide capability (with focusing to boot!).
    'Fulfilled en masse'? Not hardly I'm backer #20 for a basic Rezza kit and have seen nothing. The last two updates indicated only a few kits had gone out and that shipments had been halted in early July and would resume next week. (this information from a post by the Creator in the comments section yesterday-and a update, also yesterday)

Still, nice to hear you are happy with the kit, is the focusing helical smooth? That is my main concern since the one on my Travelwide never worked right. My Travelwide is just a 65mm pinhole now, I gave up on the helical.

Sorry, yes I should have said "about to be" fulfilled. I am a bit optimistic perhaps since I already have my camera . I have been helping test lenses, hence I received mine early.

As for the helical smoothness, I don't know what exactly you would call smooth. The helical works fine but it feels kind of like you are pushing it through small ball bearings. It is certainly nothing like a well-damped older Nikkor lens or something. It's hard to describe but I wouldn't call it smooth. I have no problem with it myself.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I do find the Mercury discussions interesting but it might be better to start a new thread. This one is specifically oriented to the Travelwide and the information you are providing on the Mercury may be missed by those who would be interested.

Just a thought.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Sorry, yes I should have said "about to be" fulfilled. I am a bit optimistic perhaps since I already have my camera . I have been helping test lenses, hence I received mine early.

As for the helical smoothness, I don't know what exactly you would call smooth. The helical works fine but it feels kind of like you are pushing it through small ball bearings. It is certainly nothing like a well-damped older Nikkor lens or something. It's hard to describe but I wouldn't call it smooth. I have no problem with it myself.
    Thanks for the info Corran. I got in contact with Zach at Mercury, who is extremely responsive and helpful, and have put in a pre-order for an LF package:
    * Mercury body 4x5 kit
    * 2 RS20 and 1 RS40 lens kits, and an additional RS40 Graflok back
    * 4x5 Ground glass

I intend to test this out with the following lenses:
    * Rodenstock/Caltar II-N 65mm
    * Schneider Angulon 90mm
    * Schneider Symmar-S 135mm
    * Calumet 210mm

Pretty excited!

Excellent! Once people start getting their Mercuries a dedicated thread might be great for discussing setups and usage.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Excellent! Once people start getting their Mercuries a dedicated thread might be great for discussing setups and usage.
    To distract myself while waiting I'm starting a sliding box 4X5. Never have attempted this so it will be ultra basic using a simple +5 diopter (200mm) series 6 close up lens. Easy to mount using retaining rings and a thin black paper with a 1/8 inch hole will be f64, or close enough as makes no difference. Ill exchange that with a 1/2 inch hole (f16) for focusing and 'low light'. With photo paper as a negative at ISO 6~12 and f64 then even in midday sun I should be able to just time exposures......one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thou........................

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...attach/jpg.gif

The Instax Wide back can be used. Since the lens to film distance is increased, I'm able to use the 100mm F/6.3 WF Ektar. An Olympus VF-1 finder works well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails instax09.jpg   instax12.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by rjschell View Post
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...attach/jpg.gif

The Instax Wide back can be used. Since the lens to film distance is increased, I'm able to use the 100mm F/6.3 WF Ektar. An Olympus VF-1 finder works well.
    I am not as up to date on the Instax back. Where did you get yours for this application?
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Lomography sells the back. There is some modifying needed. I can't give a step-by-step, but if you're handy and have some epoxy, tape, etc. you can do it. Good luck.