Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is making/distributiing B&W sheet film?

Who is making/distributiing B&W sheet film?

Both panchro and ortho----basically anything you can load into a film holder?

In view of Ilford's recent sale I thought it might be interesting to make a list, so---

Kodak
    Ilford
    Fuji
    Agfa (CSX premium x-ray film)
    Foma
    Arista (Freestyle's Foma as well as an ortho from---from?)
    Carestream/Kodak(x-ray film)
    Sony (ZZ Medical x-ray film)
    Adox

Add whatever I've missed, OK?
    What is the status of Shanghai & Era films? Are they still being manufactured in sheet formats?
    How about in Russia?

With now (IMHO) five major players in the panchro sheet film market (Ilford, Adox, Foma, Fuji & Kodak) it seems to me that film is still a viable, healthy, competitive industry, arguably with Ilford in the front of the pack. In that kind of position it would seem unlikely that Ilford's new masters would cede that position barring some unforeseen economic calamity.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Who is making/distributiing B&W sheet film?

Ilford was recently Sold? I was never aware of that.
    I hope they keep up their service, and possibly bring back some old products.

If Russia makes sheet film I'd like to try some.

A large focus of Ilford's product line has been/is film + paper B/W products... The new owners had to see that that is one of their primary streams of commerce... But they have to be betting that the film/paper market will grow...

But a couple of things concern me about the market...

I think with many people re-discovering "analog" (ooohhh, I don't like that term!!!), the other services needed such as labs, new gear, materials, information, etc are rapidly vanishing, and let's face it, the masses have a short attention span and might be "hardcore" in their choices, but how much film & materials will they really get around to shooting + processing???

Like the "Lomography" thing... Is it a fad (for the masses) or will it be a long term movement??? (I think that the plastic cameras have saved 120 format from extinction, but for how long???) And how many mfgs would bring back fine mechanical cameras??? And the masses generally want immediate gratification, and it's on their phones ready to share... (Ilford in danger!?!!! What about that "Impossible" project!?!!! Talk about a house of cards!?!! New cameras, anyone???) And with much of the new "retro" gear being close to junk these days, will people stick with it and produce for the long haul??? (Like trying to learn to play music on a toy guitar/won't get too far...)

Sorry for the rant...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Artist View Post
    Ilford was recently Sold? I was never aware of that.
    I hope they keep up their service, and possibly bring back some old products.

If Russia makes sheet film I'd like to try some.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...13#post1275413
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Mark Anslow, CEO of Pemberstone Ventures, a UK-based investment company, commented: “We are very excited by the potential of the analogue photography movement and believe that Harman is uniquely placed to drive the resurgent film market into the future”.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

- Bergger Panchro
    - Rollei RPX
    Linhof Kardan re

John, don't forget the vc papers and graded papers (if preferred). Film w/o paper is like a gun w/o bullets unless one is into scanning negs & printing digitally (not me). I doubt digital papers are going to go bye-bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    John, don't forget the vc papers and graded papers (if preferred). Film w/o paper is like a gun w/o bullets unless one is into scanning negs & printing digitally (not me).
    And that's why it's so difficult to find Kodak B&W films in many countries, the distributors concentrated on the minilab market and consumer C41 films.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by mihag View Post
    - Bergger Panchro
    - Rollei RPX
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    John, don't forget the vc papers and graded papers (if preferred). Film w/o paper is like a gun w/o bullets unless one is into scanning negs & printing digitally (not me). I doubt digital papers are going to go bye-bye.
    Alt process, Baby! It's like the people who cast their own bullets. It's not as convenient, but it's a whole other realm of output medium.