Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New From Louisiana

Re: New From Louisiana

Thanks Luis, I really have no idea how those lenses look like in LF, and I definitely need quite some time to find the best way out.

Quote Originally Posted by dengfang314 View Post
    Thanks Luis, I really have no idea how those lenses look like in LF, and I definitely need quite some time to find the best way out.
    To me, 90mm in 4x5" photography is akin to a fairly wide angle lens in 35mm camera terms. Think 28mm or so.

Are you aware a 90mm lens needs to be fairly close to the film? That means one of two things:

1. your camera bellows will need to compress enough to allow the rear of the lens to get close enough to the film to focus to infinity. The problem with this is that lens movements can be restricted because the pleated folds of the bellows impinge on one another.

2. your camera will need a bellows that will allow you to exchange a normal one for a "bag" bellows. (One with soft sides, no folded pleats.)

So keep this in mind when shopping for a camera.

A 150mm lens on a 4x5" camera is in the "normal" range. Think 50mm or 60mm in a full frame 35mm camera world. It is a good starting focal length and should be nice for your landscape work. Because it was a popular focal length, there are still many nice lenses out there for reasonable prices.

When I was in the military I had access to public darkrooms. The problem was that some other people did not respect the darkroom equipment. One thing I invested in at the time was my own enlarging lens. I never touched the glass elements or allowed anyone to smoke near it. So it is with this experience that I suggest while you are shopping for a camera and lenses that you keep your eyes open for a nice enlarging lens. For 4x5" film that would be 150mm. I like Nikon's line of El-Nikkor lenses and highly suggest them.

If you do purchase your own enlarging lens it is simple to unscrew whatever lens is in the public enlarger and swap it out for yours because most use the same 39mm thread. (Just remember to swap theirs back before you leave! LOL)

Thank you so much for those information. The more time I spend in this forum, the more I realize that I need to learn.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

210 is a very useful focal length, but I think 120 to 125 would be a great one to start with. good luck with your new venture.
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Try it first-hand before sinking any money (or much time) into it.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I have not shot color LF in years. Last time I did, Lakeside Camera in New Orleans was the closest processing. If they still do it, they can scan. But unless you have an unlimited checkbook - if so, why worry about used cameras? - you want to do your own scanning. The price of ten scans will buy a great scanner like an Epson 700. If you shoot color and buy scans, your cost per shot will be between $50 and $100. That is going to make it pretty hard to shoot enough film to learn to use the camera. My view - color makes no sense for LF any more. Digital does such as better job, especially if you stitch and/or use multiple exposures to control contrast. Even our forum owner, a master of LF color, shoots a lot of his color as digital at this point. Maybe all of it, hopefully he will weigh in.

In Baton Rouge, your best bet for processing, if you do not want to do your own, is mail order. There are good national labs you can send your film to and even get scans if you want. That is pretty much true of everywhere except the largest cities these days.

I would put together the cheapest workable set up you can, probably with a Sinar F, and see if you like LF. You would be surprised watching the sales over the years on this forum how many folks get in and then end up selling the camera after taking less than box of film's worth of images. If you don't, you have not spent a lot and you can probably sell the equipment at close to what you paid.

Shoot black and white, which benefits the most from LF and keep everything simple. Also think about your goal. If it is just to enjoy the old fashioned feel of the camera and you do not plan on making prints, you might not even need film.:-) (Like fishing without bait, so you have an excuse to be on the water.)

Think about the basic system to get into the game: camera, lens, holders, changing bag, light meter (could be your DSLR), and tripod. (Do you have a suitable tripod?)

Thanks! I am planning to keep the investment as low as possible since I have no idea how things will be in the LF world. I do have a scanner but it's pretty old one, Epson 2450. It can handle 4x5 but the resolution won't be that ideal. I've shot 35mm B&W for years and I really enjoy a lot developing them by myself.

If you have been developing your own 35mm B&W, then you may want to try your hand at doing your own 4x5 too? Look into something like the MOD54, which is a device that holds six 4x5 negatives inside a Patterson developing tank. Not very expensive if you keep watching on eBay or in the classified ads here. Your EPSON 2450 should work fine for 4x5 as well. Do you have the 4x5 holder for the scanner?

Yes, I actually have the patterson tank, just need the holder and good to go. I just have the original holder comes with the scanner, not sure if a third party holder like better scanning is necessary or not?