Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New From Louisiana

New From Louisiana

Hi there,

I am a international graduate student from Louisiana State Univ. I am currently using a DSLR setup, but after watching every single video of Ben Horne, I am seriously considering switch to 4x5.
    It's always great to try something new and I can't wait to get my first LF camera. Hopefully I can find a preowned chamonix or shenhao here.

cheers,

Re: New From Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by dengfang314 View Post
    Hi there,

I am a international graduate student from Louisiana State Univ. I am currently using a DSLR setup, but after watching every single video of Ben Horne, I am seriously considering switch to 4x5.
    It's always great to try something new and I can't wait to get my first LF camera. Hopefully I can find a preowned chamonix or shenhao here.

cheers,
    Welcome to the forum. Large format is a slower process than using a DSLR so you might want to keep your DSLR too for action shots. I used to shoot a lot of sports with a Nikon D200/D300 but I couldn't do that with my 8x10 camera. Everything has it's place.

Used Chamonix's show up from time to time but you are probably going to have to be patient. Used Shen Hao's show up more often.

Thanks Alan. I plan to shoot LF for landscapes exclusively, and keep my D800 setup for other situations.

Welcome aboard, you're in for some fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Welcome!

While you are waiting for the right camera to show up what focal length lens do you believe you would like to start with? What subjects do believe you will be photographing?

Does Louisiana State University have a darkroom for you to use? Ask around. Sometimes schools have ones that are little used while others have been eliminated.

You might want to look for some 4x5" sheet film holders and order some film so everything is on hand when you find that camera.

In addition to this website's forum you might want to look elsewhere for your camera, lenses, etc.

Here in the Atlanta, Georgia area:
    KEH
    Wing's Camera (tell Mike I sent you)
    Quality Camera

In Columbus, Ohio:
    Columbus Camera Group

Thank you so much for those very helpful information, Terry. For now, I think 90mm and 150mm should be a good start. I had few trips in Utah and Arizona in the past two years with my digital setup, and I am really into those canyon landscapes. I guess I will re-visit those locations with my LF setup in the future.
    LSU does have a pretty good darkroom, but I am not sure if it was available for a non-photography major student.
    Thank you, again!

Welcome!

Large format does not require that you also do wet printing. You can load holders with a changing tent process film with a daylight tank, and then scan it.

For me the most useful focal length for 4x5 is a 210 mm. The second focal length should be around 120 mm. The 150/90 combo is way too wide IMHO. It's not digital, and it doesn't exactly translate. I've only used large format for around 35 years, so I may not be quite experienced yet. L

Richards, do you have any recommendations for color film processing lab as well as scanning around BTR?